Dynaflow Line Pressure -- "Dynaflow Doctor" Question

rmartens

Thanks to the books "Mr Earl" graciously allowed me to copy--and a few hours of extra time over the holidays--I have re-assembled my '56 Dynaflow and have built a pressure testing set-up as recommended in the "Dynaflow Doctor".

For those that have access to a copy of the book--I have some questions about the line pressure readings I should be getting. On page 34 it says I should be getting 180 psi at the Low Accumulator (in Low) and the front pump port (in Reverse). I'm getting great servo movement, but only reaching 130-150 psi depending on how fast I can spin the TC.

But on page 22 it shows the minimum pump and accumulator pressure should be 115 psi in Low and 120 psi in Reverse--and that's at 500 rpm. I'm probably getting no more than 100 rpm by hand.

Any thoughts on the discrepancy?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick

The pressures noted on p 22 are for a transmission at normal operating temperature (hot), and of course the 'hand crank' pressures are cold. Also the pressures on p 22 are minimal accepible pressures.

I have never done the hand crank routine, but it seems that 180 is optimistic at only ~100 rpm.

If the transmission had no function problems before you freshened it up, it should be ok

While troubleshooting one of mine I checked the pressure on a known good 55 tranny and the front pump and accumulator pressures were over 200 hot or cold and at 500 rpm.

Willie