Looking for someone to make Oak convertible top bows

Guest whizzer guy

Ad in Hemmings reads: Oak Bows, 122 Ramsey Ave, Chambersburg, PA 17201, United States, 717-264-2602 Steam bent top bows duplicating your original bow. All bows steam bent like the original, not glued. No danger of separation. Send patterns, sockets or old bows for duplication. All SASEs will be answered.

My opinion. Pricey, but good quality. Five bows for a touring finished was about $1,900. Suggest making them yourself on a plywood template using ship lap joints instead of steam bending. Can do the job using a router, belt sander and material for under $200.

wink.gif

Guest Silverghost

Why not build yourself a steamer??? It really is not that hard to do!!!

What you need:

1. High-heat stove: Plumbers stove (Propane or Gasoline that was used to heat-up plumbers lead) Flea-market,Ebay item...

2. Pvc or Abs Pipe 3" 0r 4" one foot longer than the bows you wish to make!!!

3 Threaded fitting + pipe cap for one end.

4. pipe reducer 3' or 4" to 1"hose...

5. 5 gallon solvent can with bung opening.

6. six foot of 1" steam hose (marine exhaust hose {boat or marine supply store}

7. 1" fitting for solvent can bung outlet

8. two hose clamps...

Here is how you put it togeher:

Take solvent can +install 1' hose fitting in bung outlet + connect hose...

Glue end cap with hose fitting on one end of large PVC pipe... Glue threaded cap fitting on the other end...(For screw-in cap) Drill a series of 1/16" holes in a line every six inches in a row along pipe bottom... lay large pipe on workmate bench or other support structure...Holes you drilled should be along the bottom...

Fill can 60% full of water+ place on stove... hose should go up to pipe on a higher level than top of the can...

Theory of operation:

Wood is made up of cellulose fiber cells surrounded by lignin (amorphous cellulose-like organic substance...that acts as a binder for the cellulose cell fibrers in wood and adds strength and stiffness to cell walls..)

By steaming you are trying to soften and liquefy the lignin for a brief time so you can easily bend the wood. By doing this the cellulose wood cell fibers will slip by one another microscopicly and allow easy bending. Later when the lignin again cools it will harden and cause the wood to retain it's bend!!!

How to steam: place wood in pipe + screw in cap and fire up stove...Place solvent can on stove and wait for steam...

When you see steam comming out of pipe holes you should steam the wood for about 1 hour for every 1" wood thickness(+ or -)

When wood is ready use heavy gloves and several friends to remove from steamer quickly and bend to desired shape!!!

Act quickly...You won't have much time to work!!!

Hold desired shape until wood lignin cools and re-solidifys.

You may want to build a jig to help properly shape the wood bow!!!

Caution: Steam is very hot!! Do not burn yourself!!! Pressure is not a real danger problem here because the holes you drilled!!!

It really is not very hard to master steam bending...

You might wish to go to Library and look at wooden boat buiding books...They use steam bending all the time!!!

This tecnique can also be used to bend wooden body framework members!!!

I personally have done this with great success...If you have any trouble...contact me!!!

Brad...

silverghost1926@msn.com

1 215 947 4676

Be VERY Careful when dealing with certain vendors who advertise certain services in Hemmings. Not as to quality -I know nothing as to the quality of the services provided - we never got that far. But as to price! I don't mind a vendor who makes a fair profit - 25%, 35% 50%, even doubling one's money in certain circumstances is OK with me when one is providing newly made parts manufactured by someone else. But a 400-500% profit margin is downright GOUGING! I'll never do business again with a certain vendor who advertises (the same product/service) EVERY MONTH in Hemmings for the past twenty years or more! Ever wonder why someone who has been selling the same product and services HAS to advertise in Hemmings EVERY MONTH for 20+ years? Most suppliers of custom made or hand made parts/items in this hobby who do 1st class work don't need to advertise after they become established and develop a GOOD reputation (typically after a few years). In fact I know of one repairer/restorer of brass accessories who has the opposite problem. Believe it or not, he REFUSED to attend Hershey this year because he was TOO BUSY - he couldn't take on any more work or any new customers for (many) months and couldn't afford the time (1 week) away from the shop bench to attend Hershey! (I guess in his case success kinda sucks! huh guys?) But in my humble opinion his excellent reputation is diametrically opposed to my experience with ...well I guess I've said enough! Remember always Caveat Emptor! I didn't one time years ago and I still wince when I think of it.

Guest imported_Joe Kieliszek

Hello,

Thanks for the info on steam bending Brad; it's definitely food for

thought when it comes time to come up with the longer bows I need

for my top! grin.gif

Joe Kieliszek

Guest Silverghost

To All:

Don't be afraid to try your hand at steam bending. It really is not that hard to do + the equipment needed can easily be built yourself...

There is much information about it on the Web; as well as in wood boat-building books...

Once you know the "Secrets" you will find that it's easy to do + fun also!!!

Remember the old saying..."Nothing ventured nothing gained!!!"

If you don't do the bending yourself...at least you will know how it is done!!!

After all...Ship-wrights have been steam bending wood for hundreds of years!!!