Condenser on Ignition Coil

perezmaximus

On my '67 skylark when I bought it it had a condenser bolted to the ignition coil but is not connected. Is this a regular condenser like the one inside the distributor? Also where does it connect to, wich side of the coil Pos. or Neg. confused.gif Can somebody explain to me what is this condenser for?Thanks.

Guest sixpack2639

Not sure where exactly that condenser is supposed to be connected but, if I remember correctly, it was for supressing ignition noise in the radio. Carl

Guest Silverghost

Hello!!! The ONLY thing that that outside condenser is used for is to prevent radio interference from the ignition system. Without it you may hear popping or static that speeds up or slows down with your engine speed! It is part of the Radio Static Supression system...This system is comprised of the following: Resistor Spark Plugs,Resistor Ignition cables (Carbon coated fiberglass core) ,condenser on voltage regulator(to prevent popping static) ,condenser on alternator(to prevent a high ptched whine, and in some special cases like older Corvettes... Ignition Shielding(metal shields on Distributor,plug wires,coil etc.) Also braided ground straps found on engine and other items under the hood!!!

This Supression Condenser acts like a shock absorber + storage device that sends stray voltage harmlessly to ground!!!

On a - negative ground system always connect this condenser to the HOT + Positive side of any electrical item. (On + positive ground systems connect to - Neg. Hot side).

This Supression Condenser is NOT THE SAME as the one inside the distributor which stores voltage from coil+ helps voltage field to collapse and fire the coil's high voltage secondary side. While doing this it also prevents the ignition points from excessive wear+burning+welding together!!!

I hope this better clears up your question?

It is the same in princable as the one attached to the points in distributer. It absorbs the shock of electrical surges. In the case of the one on the coil it is to smooth out the surge so radio interferance don't happen. The one to the points is of a different capacity designed and keep the points from burning so they are not interchangable.

Guest Silverghost

ADD-ON POST: usually this condenser does not adversely affect the ignition system. However...If it is very old it may be shorted or leaky which might cause some ignition or charging problem... Some mechanics ,not knowing what they are for, dis-connect them .

You can check them out with a condenser checker to be sure... Usually they don't pose any problem & they can be bought from Radio Shack, Ham Radio Supply Houses & Car restoration supply CO.s listed here and in Hemmings, Old Car Weekly etc!!! They are not very costly & really do clean-up noise on old AM + FM car radios + Tape players!!!