65 Riviera w/no AC

bigjoe

Guest 1964 225 Roadster

It's a pretty huge undertaking, at least to duplicate the 'factory stock' set up. Everything is different. PS pump mounting, radiator, alternator set up, pulley on the harmonic balancer, not to mention the firewall penetrations, and the dash differences. A donor car of the same vintage and model is the only sane way to approach this, or you will go crazy trying to locate and purchase an infinite number of separate parts, fasteners, brackets, etc, etc, etc.

I added a/c my 67 Riv and I don't regret it. I bought a 67 parts car that happened to have the same (rare) interior color as mine and a/c and I replaced the standard heater with manual a/c. It wasn't that hard but required many parts. I also bought another 67 Riv GS parts car which had the unreliable early Automatic Climate Control but I didn't install it as it would have required replacing the wiring harnesses and many parts related to the automatic control were defective. I did use this car's compressor since mine is a GS too and the compressor pulley is larger on 1967 and newer cars with 3.42 axles.

I know that adding a/c to a 65 is a bit more trouble than converting a 67 but I think it's worth it if you drive the car often.

As soon as I find a 65 Wildcat or Electra parts car with A/C not too far from where I live, I'll install "factory" A/C in my 65 Wildcat too.

before

dcp011498cg.jpg

after

00000574aw.jpg

00000361ra.jpg

Ok, I'm impressed! I can't turn a screw without breaking a finger, so, do you want some business?

Only kidding. I really appreciate guys who can do work on their cars and get a great feeling of accomplishment. Unfortunately, as a city kid, I didn't grow-up fixing cars and it has come back to haunt me.

I'm starting to lean to the 68-69 Riv as my next purchase. If you know of any high-point, fully optioned cars with bucket seats for sale please let me know.

BTW, your 67 really came out great.

Regards,

Joe Ferrante