Friend or Foe ?

D Binger

There are a lot of people on this forum that have very good intentions of helping others with their technical problems. I was in correspondence with a very knowledgeable person from this forum and I happened to mention that I was going to polish the brass on my 1910 Overland. This person not only gave me advice about polishing brass - he sent me some brass polish to try. He said that it would be easy to do with this polish. I think his words were "It will be a walk in the park"(sure). After many hours of polishing, the car looks great. Now he wants to send me some wax! I have worked my fingers to the bone and this guy wants me to do more. Is this a friend or foe? <P>Rick Hoover - ~ - you get a cookie for this one. tongue.gif<P>Dan<BR> <P>

I have found that the web has a strange effect on us. The anonymity it offers helps us see past the reasons that we wouldn't help and it really stops the quick judgment that we tend to have. I have found myself doing research to help people and all sorts of things that I maybe wouldn't have done. I have found that it is wonderful and rewarding to just do it because you are being asked, not because you "have to". I think you have just found someone who feels the same way. He may sell the stuff and have samples or he may even ask you if you want to buy some, would that be a crime? He showed you a product that worked, and asks if you want to buy some for your friends? I don't know I say just go with it. smile.gif<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

Nah, Howard just asked me if I'd keep you busy doing something, while he went to judge a couple shows here in the east. The only reason I'm sending you some wax now, is because you got the brass completed so soon! All I have left now on the shelves to send you is some upholstry cleaner and a few quarts of motor oil. <BR>I sure hope Howard gets home soon!<P>Thanks for the cookie, but I'm on a diet! wink.gif<P>Rick<p>[This message has been edited by Rick Hoover (edited 07-21-2000).]

I have no idea when Rick went on a diet but it must have been in the last 30 minites. Rick will not lead you astray on cleaning materials, I get mine from him. I sure am glad I don't have brass to polish yet. Five cars are enough to clean.<P>Later<BR>Bob

Rick,<P>Just out of curiosity, what brand of polish are sending Dan? Always on the look out for something better than what one normally uses. Why does it seem that each time you polish the brass on the car, it seems to have more than the last time you did it? <P>

Judy,<P>The brass polish I sent eariler to Dan was Wright's Brass Polish. I buy it at our local grocery store here. Have you ever heard of it or used it? Very easy to use, no matter what Dan says.<P>The auto (paint) polish I'm sending him now is called Astro-Sheild. I have been using this for the past 18 years. <P>Rick<BR>

I`ve been using asto-shield for about 20 years and love it!<BR> Now don`t go to my site and see my Caddy in primer and blame it on the Astro shield! grin.gif <P>------------------<BR>Mike<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/lmmax97/cadillac/" TARGET=_blank>1964 Cadillac & Cars from the 40`s to 70`s<P>FREE! Cadillac parts posting board</A><p>[This message has been edited by 64 Cadillac (edited 07-24-2000).]

Sorry to hear that John. I had only ever heard of one other that had a problem and as it turned out the fellow machine buffed the Astro-Sheild onto a black lacquer paint, heavily Simonized waxed just weeks before. What a mess! Again, sorry to hear this!<P>Rick

Hey,<P>Heard that stuff that you are using takes three times longer to apply on brass or are people trying to just keep you busy. Does it work any better? You got to try astro-shield on your cars and stuff. I heard it works great and is easy to use I bet you will even recommend it to your frends. Please do not quote me. By the way Howard is not at fault.<P>Later,<BR>Bob

Rick ~ I'm home and will try to keep Dan busy for a while. We brought him some Krispy Kremes from Des Moines last night, along with a FEW for ourselves. ~ Howard

OK Mr. Hoover - - -<BR> <BR>I got the Astro Shield in the mail today. I have one question about this wonder polish. Will it leave that white looking stuff in the brush marks in my paint job like the other polish I have been using? And if it does, how do you get rid of it? (I can see a bunch of work ahead of me for asking that question)<P>I thank you,~ ~ ~ ~ ~I think.<P>Dan