Bent k frame (sub frame), bent frame, and broken axles

wild bill

First tell us how. I just heard from someone racing that you should not be on the brakes when the car touches the ground again. What is your tall tale?

Probably a job for a good mechanic. Have them check the mounts for the k frame also. They are not very beefy. When a 6" curb attacked my wife's car, the mount was crushed along with the k frame, wheel and tire. ( 87 Lebaron GTS) Thank goodness.

If you are thinking about attempting it yourself, do this. Take your tools to the junkyard ( you will need the large 1/2 drive sockets 18-24 mm stuff plus some wrenches and a breaker bar) and just unbolt a K frame from any 'practice' FWD Chrysler from the 84-93 era cars, then you will know if you can handle it. If you have an 'early' 89 with the single pivot and stub stru arrangement (like I did) the double pivot style is a noticeble handling upgrade. You will need the whole thing with swaybar and control arms however.

Alan

• 2 years later...

Update on the '90 k frame. First I ordered an axle and put that in with great difficulty. The tire being only a couple of inches from the rear fender didn't help I'm sure. The old axle was blown out and the k frame bent from driving over a cement culvert by the previous owner. Tried to drive then to a large frame and axle company in Denver, bear with me on this one. A mile away the cv comes apart and there I sat. Towed to shop. Estimate to replace k frame, axle and straighten frame was about $3,000.

Towed home. After a long time I got the nerve to ask a couple of friends for some help. One friend loaned me his air wrenches and sockets. Another friend showed me how to take the suspension apart, etc apart, and unbolted the k frame. We went to "Mr Badwrench" real name of place. And for a little over $120 had a k frame and axle. We washed off the k frame and then I painted it. He helped me bolt it back on, he put on the rack and pinion, put on the new axle, and put both sides of the wheels back together. He said the frame looked okay. Had it aligned but it wasn't far off. Drives like a charm. And both of them did it for a "Thank You very much". I did throw in some crab legs and beer to make me feel better. Without the encouragement of the forum I wouldn't have done it. Thanks to all.

Good show Bill, or as they say down under, 'good on you' cool.gif $3000. sheesh... You handled it. I 'upgraded' the K frame on my 89 TC to the later style by choice, they are that much better. On my 90, thankfully, it already had the later improved frame and control arms. A taske like that seems daunting but it is very doable once you get after it. Now that you are suspension qualified, put some 89-90 Daytona heavy duty rear springs and a Polybushings.com swaybar back there. You will like the car even more wink.gif

Alan