Dodge four (1923) valves

Jan Arnett

Guest DodgeKCL

You can go to an automotive machine shop and they can find a modern replacement in 'the books'. I have access to a guy in a local machine shop that justs puts a mike on the old valve and goes to the book and pulls out the modern replacement. If he can't readily find the same length , he cuts the end off the closest match. And if the keepers aren't the same, he supplies modern ones. He obviously has to know what he's doing but this young guy is right on the ball. This guy has a 4 door Durant which helps in his attitude. You might want to try to go that route. I find chasing NOS stuff takes too long and in a lot of cases, brakes linings, generator and starter brushes etc., isn't necessary. Also he tells me the new valves are much harder and made out of better material than the old ones.

Jan, my research found some International tractor valves that were similar, however cost was just as much as DB replacements! Egge Machine has the correct DB replacements, that's what we use. And no modifcations!

Dave Wollam

Thanks gentleman. I finaly got my dodge home over the weekend and pulled the head. There is one fractured valve head in number one. If there was a readly avaliable replacement I was going to rebuild it this weekend. Other wise I will grind the seats and hold off installing the valves. Interesting you mention Durant as I looked at my Star to see how close they were. I didn't think of the tractor valves but I guess I will head to my IH dealer and see what he has. I will see what Romar and Egge has.

Once again, Thanks

Jan