Motor Number vs. Serial Number in State of Ohio?

allcars

Sold a 1950 car to a friend in Ohio. Now my friend is afraid the police will take his car when he gets it inspected because the (motor) number on the title doesn't match the serial number plate on the left door jamb.Car has been titled with the motor number since new in Kansas, December 1950. Car had been registered by motor number in Kansas, Tennesee, Georgia and Michigan over the years. When I brought it to Michigan it was no big deal, the police officer inspecting the vehicle listened to me explain it was titled to the motor number, he checked the motor number on the block, saw it matched the Georgia title that came with the car and that was that. According to NHTSA website, the national Vehicle ID number system came in 1954 ... before that many states used motor number on titles, others used serial numbers (including Ohio, I assume). A lot of state motor vehicle dept. websites I looked at still note that 1954 and earlier cars may have motor numbers on titles. But my friend was told that if the State Patrol inspects the car and the number doesn't match the serial number, it will be impounded. My question is, has anyone dealt with this issue successfully with the state of Ohio, and if so, how did you do it? Thanks!

Guest sixpack2639

Don't know about Ohio but my 51 has lived in NY, VA, and SC and is titled to the motor S/N, always has been. Hope that helps, Carl

In Ohio, you don't have to go to the police to get an out of state car inspected for title purposes, you go to a dealer. Most medium to large car dealerships provide this service for a few dollars. Tell your friend to go to a dealer where they are "old car friendly" and he should be OK.

When I moved here from PA in 2001 all I needed to do was take the cars to the local BMV (Ohio's name for the DOT) office, where you get your license plates anyway, and have them "inspected" there. The clerk for about $3.50 compared the serial number on the title to the number on the car, signed the form, and that was that.

It was fun when I took the antique. She didn't know what to do when there was no data plate visible through the windshield! grin.gif

I really don't know what would've happened if those numbers didn't match. The <span style="font-weight: bold">only</span> place to ask that question is <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> local BMV office. I'd be willing to bet the answer you get will be different from office to office.

It helps to research the State regulations on titles and registration in advance of taking your car in for inspection. Don't do your research at the local DMV office, the clerks there will most likely be totally ignorant of how autos were registered prior to the VIN system. When I titled and licensed my 1940 Buick, the clerk/"inspector" (about 30 years old) insisted that there should have been a VIN tag just behind the windshield and that the VIN was also stamped in numerous places on the frame and body. The title I had for the car was from Missouri and used the engine number. The car still had the original engine so that part was OK but there is also a body number on the car that didn't agree with the engine number. This discrepancy seized her up for sure. Fortunately, I had a copy of the service and owners manual with me and was able to convince her that the VIN system was relatively new and had not originally been revealed to Moses from a burning bush. I also had called the main DMV office in Phoenix and talked to an individual who was knowledgeable about older cars and got his phone number. I had her call this guy and he was able to straighten her out. My car is now titled and licensed in Arizona using the engine number. You just need to do some homework.

Guest De Soto Frank

I love it...more "PROGRESS" !!! wink.gif

We're getting to that point in history where we, the chronologically advantaged, have to start telling the younger crowd what life was like before computers, and cel phones...

They won't listen, Frank. They either "know everything" or are mentally "bound to the book", which of course came down from the mount. crazy.giffrown.gif

hvs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We're getting to that point in history where we, the chronologically advantaged, have to start telling the younger crowd what life was like before computers, and cel phones...

</div></div>

Not too long ago, I talked with a group of young adult friends of my son who had never heard of a party line phone or a rotary phone; when I described how the system worked they literally didn't believe me, they thought I was pulling their collective leg. They were also surprised to meet someone who remembers (fondly) a world without TV. I guess they thought anyone <span style="font-weight: bold">that old</span> would have to be dead.

There was no original error.

Many old vehicles were titled using the engine number. I've brought several pre-VIN cars into Ohio from out of state and it is as the above posters say: go to a (usually small town) friendly dealer and have him verify the number. If there is a question, just tell them they used to use the engine number and that's why that number shows on the out of state paperwork. It is quick and painless.

Guest 70 Electra

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, but is there a problem with the DMV rectifying the original error and issuing a new title with the correct numbers on it? In other words why do we care what number a DMV uses? confused.gif </div></div>

I think the crux of the bisquit is that the current title is really NOT in error. However, your point could be a valid one if the car was still in the hands of the fellow whose name is on the front of the title. As I understand Allcars' issue, the car is sold/gone, with the title signed over to the new owner. It's the new owner that is now having the heartburn. Sure, Allcars could take the title back and apply for a revised title (using VIN instead of motor number), but that would be an expense in time and money that is no longer his problem. Not to mention the troubles associated with "correcting" a title after the back of it has already been signed off...