Jacking up the '53 Buick

Guest TheDude

Guest TheDude

Hi,

With some PB Blaster and a few days of waiting I managed to remove the oil pan drain plug. I would like to remove the oil pan as well to see what is at the bottom of the pan. I looked through the shop manuals and searched the forums here but I cannot find any information on raising the car with a jack. I would like to put the front end up on jack stands but I do not know the best point at which to place the jack. Also, since this is quite a heavy car, is there anything one can put under the jack stands so they do not dig into the concrete?

Thank you,

Justin wink.gif

Guest sixpack2639

Hi Justin, I agree with Patrick on the placement of the jack stands and, as for something to put under them, I keep a couple of pieces of 3/4" plywood about 18" square to put under mine. I use 3/4" so I can use them on concrete or in the yard if need be. Makes for a good footer so the grass doesn't get dug up and the stands don't try to kick out from sinking into the ground. Carl

Hello Justin: Do not think my prior posting was clear. The "jack" used to raise the car should be under the coil springs held by the A frame. The "jack stands" should always be under the frame of the car to which the front and rear bumpers are bolted by the use of a large bracket. The frame has a flat surface which is as stable a place as you will find under the car. The "jack" used to raise the car would normally be in place for only a moment which allows for the placement of the "jack stands" under the frame. After placement the car is slowly lowered on to the "jack stands" while being sure your body is not under the car. One must be careful as cars are very heavy and can induce serious personal injury through the effects of gravity in downward motion. Good Luck, Patrick W. Brooks

Guest 53Nailhead

Justin, don't forget to block the rear tires, as Patrick said these cars are very heavy & there is very little clearance. I always have someone around when I'm under mine, although if it ever fell I don't know that much could be done! Always take more precautions than necessary.

I'm assuming you are using a hydraulic floor jack and not some type of bumper jack. I just put the jack under the rear end "pumpkin" and raise the rear until I can get the jack stands under the rear axles out near the tires (my stands have a flat top with concave center)or under the frame. For the front I place the jack under the front X-member and jack the whole front up at once. Depending on what I am doing I place the stands either under the frame or A arms. I also put a piece of 2X4 wood between jack and car so as not to mar the car or dent the bottom of the X-member. I would not reccomend using stands on anything other than a VERY firm and level surface. I think grass or dirt could be dangerous under some conditions. Also after the car is on the stands I give it a very vigorous test shake. I'd rather it fall then than later but have never had it even wiggle....Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm assuming you are using a hydraulic floor jack and not some type of bumper jack. I just put the jack under the rear end "pumpkin" and raise the rear until I can get the jack stands under the rear axles out near the tires (my stands have a flat top with concave center)or under the frame. For the front I place the jack under the front X-member and jack the whole front up at once. Depending on what I am doing I place the stands either under the frame or A arms. I also put a piece of 2X4 wood between jack and car so as not to mar the car or dent the bottom of the X-member. I would not reccomend using stands on anything other than a VERY firm and level surface. I think grass or dirt could be dangerous under some conditions. Also after the car is on the stands I give it a very vigorous test shake. I'd rather it fall then than later but have never had it even wiggle....Bob. </div></div>

By "Pumpkin", do you mean the differential? I haven't been sure whether that could support the weight of the car...even if it was just for a short period of time to get it up on the jacks....I would hate to dent it.....