More Stutz engine parts found tonight up in the attic!!!!!

34LaSalleClubSedan

Please read my previous message.I found the radiator shell and radiator up in the attic of the old garage where I purchased the block,head and crank shaft.I also found the valve cover, finned oil pan, cam shaft and bearings,front cover plate,maybe the starter.Some different timing chains,7 of the 9 main bearing caps,2 spark plug wire metal harness's, maybe the bottom bell housing cover,intake and exhaust manifolds,some type of oil rectifer?? Still looking for the fan blade, water pump, 2 side covers located on the block-did these say Stutz on them?? Carburetor,generator,flywheel,clutch,tranny.What is the brand name and model number of the Carburetor??Any brand name or numbers on the transmission??Did the tranny have the E-brake on the back of the tranny or was the E-brake on the rear wheels?? I found a couple big tranny's with the E-brake on the back of the tranny.What was the brand name and number of the distributor and generator.What is the diameter of the fly wheel ring gear?? Hope someone will help us I.D. these parts before they are lost forever.Thanks, Jim

Jim,

Here is my best effort. The engine appears to be a model MA, MB or SV16 from 1931. All engines were the same and were produced simultaneously. For 1931, engine numbers ran from 32705 to 33107. The number on the tag on the valve cover should match that on the crankcase. The number on the crankcase is next to the distributor.

The carburetor is a dual throat updraft Zenith. By 1928 and later they were potmetal and went bad just a few years after they were produced. Many were replaced with a Stromberg from a Studebaker President or a Pierce Arrow (?). Most Stutzes today are running on a Stromberg. Try to retrieve the carb even if it is in bad shape as people need the brass bits to complete the new castings that are being made. 1931 is not my year, but I believe that the 'MA' had a four speed, granny low made by 'Detroit Gear and Machine'. The emergency brake band is on the back of the trans. There was a feature on 1929 and 1930 (?) cars called a 'NO BACK'. It is a second, small brake drum mounted just in front of the main emergency brake drum. The 'no back' prevents the car from rolling backwards when starting on a hill. It might be there or it could have been removed from your car. By the way, the Stutz used an open driveline. In 1928, like my car, the transmission has a lock in the middle of the gearshift knob and be a three speed. Yours should not have this, but keep an eye out in any case. The intake manifold is cast aluminum. The oil rectifier bolts to the rear exhaust manifold. The air filter was an 'Air Maze' brand. It looks like a cylinder with a wingnut on the end. The starter and generator are Delco and look rather conventional. The starter engages with a mechanical foot pedal with a mechanism that advances the bendix. The generator would have an output at the back to drive the water pump. The generator is big like that of a Cadillac. I can't think of anything else to add for now. Perhaps some owners of later cars can respond. Hope this helps.

Brian in Santa Cruz, CA

Guest imported_StutzDV

Hi,

I can not add much more than the last person except that it is probably a 31 SV and most likely would have a Muncy 3 spd gear box. I am in need of a block and crank. I would like to know your price for all of the bits if they are for sale.

My tel number is 413-781-0530

George

Thanks Brian & George for you great help.The Block had embossed numbers 32974 and above that 3-6-9.The valve cover says Vertical 8 number 30923.The oil rectifier is a "Wall".I did find the correct Delco Starter.I need the model number on the Generator and Distributor.Is the fan blade a 4 blade fan?? I am still looking for the fan blade and assembly,water pump,carb.generator,distributor,Clutch,fly wheel and other misc items that attach to the block. I did find a tranny box with the name Detroit on it.All apart with several gears.I'm trying to figure out what items I should be looking for that fit into various holes & flanges on each side of the block,front and back as well as the intake manifold besides the carb.I won't have time to look for more parts for several days, but will when I can.Any info, or pictures sure will help save this engine.Thanks again, Jim

Jim,

It is hard for me to add to what I have written, for I do not have a later car like this and am fairly new to Stutz. However, the fan should be easy as I believe that it has six aluminum blades (?) and more importantly is driven off of the front of the engine by the cam chain. There is a shaft sticking out of the front of the timing cover, about mid way up the engine. So, look for a fan without a pulley. The one on my car is pretty big. Also, I forgot to mention that the transmission should have a plated gearshift lever and a plated e-brake lever. The exhaust manifolds are two pieces. The pipes are cast iron and curl up and then down at the center of the engine, from the back and front manifolds. From there, there are two pipes about 2 feet (?) long of normal exhaust pipe the run parallel and straight down, about 4" apart center to center. On 1928 and later cars these two pipes go into a cast iron collector which makes a hard turn to the back of the car. The single exiting exhaust pipe is a bigger diameter than the two entering it. Regardless of its apparent condition, the collector is a hard part to get - a friend in Mexico needs one. People have gone as far as to make them. Incidentally, the straight pipes to the collector were originally covered by asbestos. For what it is worth, on my car there is an aluminum shield, about 3/16" thick that goes between the block and parallel exhaust pipes. This is to keep from burning up the spark wires. This goes over the normal steel sheet metal spark wire tubes that you have found. This aluminum shield is kind of a stepped affair, held on by two studs on the engine and maybe one foot long by 5" (?). When I received my car in boxes, I thought that this part was part of a kitchen appliance!

I am not surprised that the valve cover does not match the engine - this is fairly common. The distributor should be very easy. Recall that this car has a dual coil, dual point, two sparkplug ignition system. The cap will have 18 holes - 8+8+2 for the wires. The distributor is again a Delco and is a big blob of potmetal, rather fragile. The top part flares out to take a really big cap. It is similar to that of a Cadillac and Packard of 1928. As for covers for the transmission etc, that is tough. Seems to me that my car has an oval plate that is the access to the bellhousing and throwout bearing. It has Detroit Gear embossed on it. Recall that mine is an earlier car however with the three speed. Something else you should keep an eye out for is an external oil and vaccuum pump. (At least I think that is what it is?) The distributor drive shaft is vertical. On to the bottom of the engine is mounted the oil pump this auxiliary pump of some sort. In other words, look at the hole and studs on the underside of the block from the distributor. Find the thing that looks like an oil pump and mounts there. (Can?t tell you more about it; my car does not have the auxilary pump. It is a 1929 and later item.)

Hope this helps. I will try my best effort to attach photos taken from my 1928 users manual. There may be some detailed differences, however it should help.

Best regards,

Brian in Santa Cruz, CA

Jim,

I forgot to mention that the oil filler cap / crankcase breather is on the other side of the engine (carb side) on 29 and later cars. The cap you see on the RH side of the engine for filling the oil is virtually identical a gas cap for a 1928 and very rare. Here is a view of the bottom of a 1928 engine.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...