What's there to do in Michigan?

Machiner 55

Next week My wife and I will be in the Novi, Michigan area (just west of Detroit) Thursday Sept. 28 through Sunday October 2. She is attending a convention of which I have little interest in so I'll have some free time to wonder about a bit. Any suggestions as to what to see... where to go? Day trips only. Gotta be cheap though, I'm on a budget. grin.gif

Guest HessLakeGuy

The Henry Ford is a good choice. Its not real cheap, but worth the price. There is the Museum and Greenfield Village. There is also a factory tour of the Rouge Assembly plant (assembles F150s) that you can go on. Its in Dearborn, not far from Fords World Headquarters. I was there just last week, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Guest imported_barra

If you like airplanes, the Yankee Air Museum is at exit 194 on Interstate 94. It is in Ypsilanti. Willow Run which is just across the way and was a huge plant that made B-24's during WWII and was the last place that made the Chevy Caprice which didn't do well and spelled the end of the plant as a car manufacturer. The plant is a mile long and has a 3 degree downslope so the airplanes could be literally moved down the assembly line.

Windsor Ontario Canada is just across the bridge and is remarkably different from Detroit.

Check out Woodward Avenue in Detroit- the orignal cruise route.

Guest imported_Flash

Downtown Detroit has the Ren Cen (aka the GM building). Also access to Greektown and the Joe Louis Arena (Red Wings!!!!!!). Traffic is bad all the time, but truly worse at 7am and 5pm. If you think you might venture to Windsor Canada, pack your passport just in case. Never know when the next clamp down will be. Hate to be trying to get back in and not be able to prove citizenship. If no passport, then either don't plan on visiting Windsor, or at least bring your birth certificate.

The Willow Run plant is still active and makes transmissions now. GPS would be helpful if you are planning to do a bit of driving. Lansing is an hour away, and you could visit the area where your car was made. Flint, has the Sloan Museum. The Detroit Art Institute is renowned for some of its collections. Ann Arbor is home to the University Of Michigan and the campus is spread throughtout the city. Meeeeeechigan stadium holds over 106,000. Lansing has Michigan State and a wonderful campus as well. There are some great golf courses around, if that is an option. The Palace of Auburn Hills may have some events planned and there are plenty of malls for the Mrs. to get her "retail therapy" sessions in.

Enjoy your stay.

Flash

If you're interested in airplanes, stop by the Kalamazoo Air Zoo/musuem in that town on the way home. Very interesting, and don't pass by the flight simulators, where you can realistically fly an F-14 or P-51. I'm a flight instructor with many hours, and crashed and burn't.

Guest imported_barra

Kalamazo Aviation History Museum is at the Portage Exit mile marker 78 on I-94. Go south; the museum is at the south end of the airport on Milham Road. It is open from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Saturday; it is open from 11:00 to 5:00 pm on Sundays. I volunteer there weekends.

Guest imported_barra

No, I volunteer at the older building that has the WWII aircraft. I leave the newer building for the "kids". I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself.