Rear Axle Identification

bhclark

I cannot positively identify the rear axle in my 65 wildcat Convertible. According to my Detroit Iron book, the axle should be stamped with the axle code. I have cleaned off the bottom of the differential pretty good and the only thing I can find is the number 40 stamped on 1 side of the bottom of the case and what appears to be 131N near the front of the case on the bottom. There is also a stray 3 near the center, but nothing that looks like the PA or PB I was expecting.

Ican post pics if that might help?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I need to purchase a Rebuild Kit and want to make sure I get the right one. (Can anyone tell me what the difference is with the "Timken" bearing set versus the regular one on Year One's Website....or should I get the entire Ring and Bearing kit?)

Also, I am trying to identify the tranny and the only thing I can find is a plate with 493 along the top and below it BJ-65-125533. This also does not match my Detroit Iron exactly, but looks like it might be an ST400?

Thanks! confused.gif

In digging out my '68 Buick Chassis Service Manual, the stampings mentioned in the service manual are on the AXLE TUBE, not the center casting. From the illustrations in the '68 manual, it looks like it should be on the driver's side axle tube (referenced from the ring gear clearance bulge in the rear cover) in 3/16" tall stamps.

The stamping should be the two letter code (denoting "standard open" or "PosiTraction" differential) followed by the Julian date of the year of manufacture. PosiTraction differentials also appear to have an "X" with a circle around it before the letter code. The letter codes might be different for your model year, but I suspect the basic format is very similar to the '68s--just my gut suspicion.

As those Buick axles were unique to Buick models, there should be nothing to confuse with other GM carlines' rear axles.

"Timken" is a particular brand of bearing, which is very probably one of the premium brands now (and in prior times). If they are the same as they used to be, definitely OEM quality items.

The BEST way to make sure you get what you need would be to disassemble the rear axle assy and then get the numbers off of the existing bearing sets and seals. Then most any competent auto supply (i.e., NAPA) or bearing vendor (probably several locally in your area, too) could cross them into current part numbers of what they can get locally or from their supply chain. In other words, no real need to order these things from a restoration vendor per se. Year ONE and others get their stuff from "somewhere", with all due respect. Shop around as the prices and availability can vary.

As for the transmission, if it's a 2-speed on the quadrant, it should be the "SuperTurbine 300" and if it's a 3-speed on the quadrant, it should be the "SuperTurbine 400". Both, if I recall correctly, should be "switch pitch" versions. Not a lot of choice back then, but specific variations with respect to the engines they were bolted onto. ST300 ID in a stamped servo cover on the right hand side of the trans; ST400 ID on a square metal tag "riveted" to the right hand side of the case, with a VIN stamp on a boss adjacent to the tag, near the pan rail. Again, I suspect the '68 format is similar to what is on your vehicle.

In the area you're in, I somewhat suspect there are some local vendors that can supply what you need for the mechanicals of the vehicle. Not to mention a competent repair shop to perform the rear axle work, if needed.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Thanks. It does look like the ST400. I suspect the amount of rust on the under side of the car is hindering my search for the stampings on the axle but I will search again.

My main goal in ordering the kit ahead of time was to reduce down time, since it's summmer and it's a convertible. wink.gif. Maybe I'll let this one wait until it's not so much convertible weather and take my time on it this fall/winter.

Thanks for the info....I will check Napa. I'm trying to decide on whether I want to tackle the rear end myself. It looks a bit easier than a tranny or engine, but I dont want to screw it up!!!!