New guy here with his grandfather's original '53 Buick Super:

Guest TheDude

Guest TheDude

Hi,

I am new to this particular forum. I would like to introduce myself.

To start off with, my name is Justin. I am nineteen years old. I have a part time job at Merritt?s Antiques in South East Pennsylvania. I attend college full time. I have been in the automotive hobby since I was sixteen when I got my 1965 Ford Mustang coupe. This year, my father and I bought a 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible project. In addition to those cars I am now in possession of an all original 1953 Buick Super. Here is the story:

In 1970 my grandfather bought the Buick from a gas station where it had been sitting since about 1958. He took it home to his small garage where he cleaned it, waxed it (he did this a lot J) and performed whatever mechanical service was necessary. He maintained its originality except for the wheel covers, which he chose to upgrade to the wire-wheel style (I have the original wheel covers). He took the car to shows and won several awards. Once in a while he used the Buick to make a few extra dollars by chauffeuring a new bride and groom around. He took great care of it and always kept it garaged. He died in 1985 (one year before I was born) and the Buick has stayed inside the garage for most of those years, only to come out once in a while to be started and cleaned. That stopped in 1992.

Early this year we had a 28? wide by 32? deep pole building constructed. At the end of July of this year my father took a week long vacation. We made plans to finally have the Buick transported to our new garage. The day we had it brought home was the first day since I was five or six that I had seen the Buick totally uncovered and out of the garage. It was simply beautiful. My father and I were quite nervous about it being transported. Everything worked out fine and the Buick is safe.

Here are the pictures. The first few rows of pictures are fifteen years old. The little boy in the one picture is about to turn 21. The pictures that have the name ?Justin xxx? are the new pictures, along with the ones after them.

Even though I never met my grandfather I know we would have had a lot of fun together! I would probably have ten old cars if he were around! The Buick was the last classic car he worked on. I am now continuing his last project with the same tools he used decades ago. The sentimental value of this car is too much for me to even begin to express in words.

The Buick is completely original. The paint is even original and it is in fantastic condition! It has 41, 616 miles. I plan to maintain the low mileage and originality of this car.

My question is: where do most of you go for quality restoration parts?

Any general tips and advice pertaining to old Buick would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and assist me in maintaining such a beautiful car.

Justin wink.gif

P.S. These are the things I definitely need soon, before winter:

(322ci V8 engine, automatic transmission)

Spark Plug Wires

Radiator Overflow Tube

Depending on the state of the gas I might need all new fuel lines as well.

If you could tell me where I can get these parts I would really appreciate it. I am looking for original style reproduction parts, thank you.

Justin, welcome to the Buick Club of America forums. Thank you for sharing this fascinating story and the photos of your beautiful Buick. This is a great-looking Buick, and we'll be eager to hear much more about it during the days ahead.

We have a number of '53 guys here who can be really helpful. For starters, I will direct you to the Buick Parts Directory http://buickpartsdirectory.com/ for a listing of parts sources. This directory has been created and is maintained by Smartin, one of our members here.

Justin, I urge you to join the Buick Club of America. Depending on your exact location, there may be a chapter located nearby. Participation in a chapter will be a great way for you to meet local Buick experts and enjoy showing/touring with your Buick.

Guest my3buicks

Welcome Justin!!!

53's are great Buicks, I had a 53 Super also (pic attached). I would urge you to join the BCA if you havn't already. You may also want to join a local chapter to get with Buick people in your area that may be able to help you with info & things you want to do to the car.

You've made a great start by posting here as there is a wealth of knowledge and info to be had here. JUST ASK!!

You may not have known your Grandfather, but I can assure you he is sitting right there beside you with a big grin on his face when you sit behind the wheel of the 53. I also own a car that my Grandfather owned (he bought it new) and there is nothing more priceless than owning a family heirloom type car.

Best of luck.

Guest 53Nailhead

Welcome Justine, I'm sure your Grandfather would be proud! These cars are fairly simple to work on & I agree with Keith & Centurion, you should join the BCA, the guys are great & always willing to share their knowledge & experience with others. I would also try to locate a 53' shop manual as well as the 52, shop manual, I'm forever referring to it! Be careful the 'Buick Fever' is a terrible disease to catch & theres no known cure!!!!! Attached is my vice.

Good luck, Les

Guest imported_MrEarl

Welcome aboard the BCA forum Justin,

I admire your respect of your grandfathers Buick. You are so lucky to have this happen. You sound like a very mature 19 year old with lots of insight as to the the things that really matter in life. Like father/son projects and now assuming the guardianship of your grandfathers Buick.

You've come to a great site that has a lot of great folk ready to help in any way we can. You can do a search for a lot of the technical and restoration subjects. Regarding the radiator, most people use copper tubing painted black. Not quite the exact size but close. If you take it to a radiator shop to have it done make sure they get the bend correct as it turns downward. If it is like the 54 it should not be bent to where it touches the radiator as it bends but rather a longer sweep that arches about 1/2 inch away from the radiator. I've got to have mine redone due to it being done wrong. No big thing but if you're going for original....

If the car has been sitting since 92 you may need to flush and seal the gas tank. I have some experience with that and can offer my technique if you need.

Again welcome aboard and looking forward to hearing more from you and the 53.BTW does the car have a name

Guest TheDude

Thank you for the warm welcomes. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have a number of '53 guys here who can be really helpful. For starters, I will direct you to the Buick Parts Directory http://buickpartsdirectory.com/ for a listing of parts sources. This directory has been created and is maintained by Smartin, one of our members here.

Justin, I urge you to join the Buick Club of America. Depending on your exact location, there may be a chapter located nearby. Participation in a chapter will be a great way for you to meet local Buick experts and enjoy showing/touring with your Buick. </div></div>

Thanks for the link Brian. I would like to join a local Buick club, as it would definitely be quite advantageous as far as help and locating parts. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may not have known your Grandfather, but I can assure you he is sitting right there beside you with a big grin on his face when you sit behind the wheel of the 53. I also own a car that my Grandfather owned (he bought it new) and there is nothing more priceless than owning a family heirloom type car. </div></div>

I get that feeling too, especially when I turned my first wrench on the Buick with the same tools he used over twenty years ago!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Welcome Justine, I'm sure your Grandfather would be proud! These cars are fairly simple to work on & I agree with Keith & Centurion, you should join the BCA, the guys are great & always willing to share their knowledge & experience with others. I would also try to locate a 53' shop manual as well as the 52, shop manual, I'm forever referring to it! Be careful the 'Buick Fever' is a terrible disease to catch & theres no known cure!!!!! Attached is my vice.

Good luck, Les </div></div>

First, the name is JUSTIN! tongue.gifwink.gif My father and I bought both shop manuals at a car show earlier this month. Neither of us had any idea that the '52 manual was needed as well until we bought the '53 manual. As far as it being fairly simple to work on, I sure hope so. I am used to working on my 1965 Mustang, where I can just unscrew the air cleaner and take it off with no worries. On the Buick, there is oil in the air cleaner! It actually stunned me when I first saw that. smile.gif My favorite part of the engine compartment is the glass jar windshield washer reservoir. Coming in second is the cable hood latch release, which I do not even have on the Mustang. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Welcome aboard the BCA forum Justin,

I admire your respect of your grandfathers Buick. You are so lucky to have this happen. You sound like a very mature 19 year old with lots of insight as to the the things that really matter in life. Like father/son projects and now assuming the guardianship of your grandfathers Buick.

You've come to a great site that has a lot of great folk ready to help in any way we can. You can do a search for a lot of the technical and restoration subjects. Regarding the radiator, most people use copper tubing painted black. Not quite the exact size but close. If you take it to a radiator shop to have it done make sure they get the bend correct as it turns downward. If it is like the 54 it should not be bent to where it touches the radiator as it bends but rather a longer sweep that arches about 1/2 inch away from the radiator. I've got to have mine redone due to it being done wrong. No big thing but if you're going for original....

If the car has been sitting since 92 you may need to flush and seal the gas tank. I have some experience with that and can offer my technique if you need.

Again welcome aboard and looking forward to hearing more from you and the 53.BTW does the car have a name </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words. smile.gif I am continuing my grandfather?s last project and I am trying to do what he would have done. With a car as original as this, there is no room for modifications. When I get it running I hope to drive it to the same car shows he drove it to years ago.

Any advice is welcome, especially pertaining to the gas tank, thank you.

My father named her Emma, which was my grandfather's mother's name.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes. I will keep you updated as I progress. I start college (sophomore, full time) August 31st (five days a week), and I will be working six days a week. I am attempting to get it running before winter.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful the 'Buick Fever' is a terrible disease to catch & theres no known cure!!!!! </div></div>

You got that right Les, as MrEarl and I are witness to / victims of. Mind you, I'm not sure I'd describe it as terrible. Next thing you know, Justin will want to replace that Mustang with a GS grin.gif

Welcome Justin. I wish you the best of luck with bringing Emma back up to snuff. I look forward to hearing about your progress. With my '52 in hiding, I'm afraid I won't be able to offer much advice.

If I remember correctly (forgive me if I don't...I'm nearly twice your age and memory seems to be one of the first things that goes tongue.gif ), you said you needed a 322. I'm wondering why. If it was running well and started regularly for a number of years, it probably just needs some TLC rather than replacement...then again, I probably misread what you typed. <span style="font-style: italic">Edit</span> - I just re-read what you typed and I understand now...time for this old codger to get to bed.

Good luck.

Guest TheDude

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I remember correctly (forgive me if I don't...I'm nearly twice your age and memory seems to be one of the first things that goes ), you said you needed a 322. I'm wondering why. If it was running well and started regularly for a number of years, it probably just needs some TLC rather than replacement...then again, I probably misread what you typed. Edit - I just re-read what you typed and I understand now...time for this old codger to get to bed.

</div></div>

Sorry, I should have set that up better. I was just mentioning the engine it has. wink.gif

I would not replace the Mustang with a GS! I would simply add to the collection. grin.gif

Guest 53Nailhead

Sorry Justin, being named Leslie, I've heard'em all!! Thriller I've got another 53 sitting in the yard as a major project, don't exactly know which direction to go with it, it's pretty far gone & might be easier to modify it than restore it to original tongue.gif!! My wife & daughters think 'Buick Fever' is terrible not me. They just don't get it! Once again Justin, read the manuals ask lots of questions, pick the brains of these guys & you'll be fine. I make lots of notes & take alot of pictures as I go. WHY? Because anyone can take it apart, NOT everyone can put it back together! Off to Bristol motor speedway for sat. nights race guys talk at ya next week!!! cool.gifsmile.gif

Les

Guest Shaffer

Welcome to the boards!

First of all, I will say that is a GRAND Buick. I think that the 53's are one of the nicest looking Buicks ever made.

I really like to see a old car in all original shape. Not too many around like that these days. The car has obviously seen extreme care over the years and I am sure you will continue to give it the same care.

Guest Shaffer

Have fun Les. I may see you down here. I only live 7 miles from the track. I am not going to the race, but on my way to work, I have to go through the race traffic.

Have a safe trip!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Off to Bristol motor speedway for sat. nights race guys talk at ya next week!!! cool.gifsmile.gif

Les </div></div>

Guest ZondaC12

Hi! Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of good help here!

Looks like I've got some company. I'm 17, as of last month, and I've got a '38 special (inherited from my dad, he passed away almost 2 years ago) though not nearly in as good shape as you '53. that thing is MINT. You're very fortunate, you'll love that thing. Though that's also real neat that you got a '65 mustang when you were 16.

Best of luck!

BTW If you want to see my car, go to the Collectible Tech and Restoration Forum, scroll down a bit and the thread is "my 1938 special: the chronicle"