warped rocker panels

willgwv

Hey everyone,

I am a new Reatta owner. Black with gray int. 90 model. I have had it for about a month. Had to put a tranny in it but that was all. Runs beautifully. Good mileage, cold air, all gauges work. I should stop boasting or else something could go wrong.

I do have a question. Both rocker panels are warped in exactly the same place. There is a warp outward just past the door edge or about 6-8 inches in front of the rear wheels. The rocker is also discolored. It appears to be plastic and the edge is white. Very noticeable on a black car. A local body shop says they will paint both for $50 bucks and also try to heat and straighten them. Is this a good idea and has anyone else seen this?

I have been following the posts for a while and really enjoy them.

Thanks,

Bill

Guest Greg Ross

Will,

These rocker panel covers are plastic, white or light in color and just painted. They are in two pieces with the short cover section at the rear wheel well. They are installed with numerous sheet metal screws and at least on my '88 were readily removeable/ bo adhesives used. The rear piece as I recall has a screw pretty much in the center of it and at least on mine the screw pulled/ distorted the piece inward.

If you're into DIY pull them off yourself, aftermarket stores carry automotive paints and any matt black would do the trick.

I am in Nashville, Indiana about 45 miles south of Indianapolis.

Do you know if the design changed from 88 to 90?

The panel itself is arched out almost like a gutter just behind the door. I am sure it lets all run off water go right down into the rocker area.

Will

Is that near MEMPHIS, INDIANA?

Or is by COLOMBUS< INDIANA?

What's with Indiana, they have a great town, world-renound Indianapolis, so why did they use names of other popular cities like Nashville or Memphis?

The famous cities which bear these names are'nt more than a couple hours drive.

I'd bet they even have a Chicago or maybe even a Milwaukee!

How 'bout we name our next new town Indianapolis, no matter what state it's in!

Maybe re-name Columbus, OH since Indiana already took that one, too!

Or we could re-name Memphis, TN to Indianapolis, since Memphis is only the home of modern American music and the Indiana town has the greatest truck stop on the IN-TN state line.

Better yet, we'll re-name Nashville, TN to GARY! Indiana would'nt mind that a bit!

Just my $.02 don't intend to wad any shorts up.

• 4 years later...

One of mine was discolored as well, and I finally took it off today to repaint it myself, it went well, looks good. It is also slightly warped inward from one of the screws pulling on it, I haven't decided if I will bother trying to improve that. Since my car was from MA, some of the screws were very rusty at the heads, and impossible to use a philip's on. So I used my dremmel with a cutting wheel to make a deep slot, which I could then use with an impact wrench, using a standard 'flat head' large driver bit, on the lowest setting to remove. (Works very well, these screws are good quality, hard metal, and the impact wrench allows you to push against it hard, while it uses shock/rotation to free them. Just have to use one that lets you go down to a very slow power setting.) I did all this mostly because I always wanted to have a peak under there... I was really pleased to find that it was free of any rust! I was pretty amazed. These cars were made so well..

Edited by Fox W. (see edit history)