Casting Small Plastic Peices

Friartuck

This thread is to inform the forum about one method of casting small pieces in plastic such as these tail light lenses used on TRILIN tail lights. Pictured on top are the clear and amber original glass lenses and below them are the plastic reproductions. Note the Australian customer wanted a red stop lens instead of the original amber to conform to their motor vehicle regulations. Smooth-On rubber mold resin (PMC 121-30 Dry) was used to make the two-piece mold and their crystal clear resign #202 was used for the lenses. The resins can be used clear or tinted to suit the desired color. Smooth-On also has available regular non-clear plastic resins for things like radio or vent control knobs. I originally got this idea while watching a Bob Villa show where they were restoring wood carvings on a fireplace mantel by making the molds in rubber and the pieces in plaster. The molding rubber was $20 for the set and the clear was $25 for the set. These are their starter kits. Any questions, e-mail me. Chris Wantuck

wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is to inform the forum about one method of casting small pieces in plastic such as these tail light lenses used on TRILIN tail lights. Pictured on top are the clear and amber original glass lenses and below them are the plastic reproductions. Note the Australian customer wanted a red stop lens instead of the original amber to conform to their motor vehicle regulations. Smooth-On rubber mold resin (PMC 121-30 Dry) was used to make the two-piece mold and their crystal clear resign #202 was used for the lenses. The resins can be used clear or tinted to suit the desired color. Smooth-On also has available regular non-clear plastic resins for things like radio or vent control knobs. I originally got this idea while watching a Bob Villa show where they were restoring wood carvings on a fireplace mantel by making the molds in rubber and the pieces in plaster. The molding rubber was $20 for the set and the clear was $25 for the set. These are their starter kits. Any questions, e-mail me. Chris Wantuck

wink.gif </div></div>

I second that! I cast my own line of scale model car kits and parts for 11 years, 1989-2000, with urethane resins (including some really fun antique car model kits and conversions), and several times got the call to do reproduction parts for 1:1 cars as well (several taillight and parking light lenses. What you are talking about does work.

Art

The examples shown are all relatively small/squarish pieces, and the resin descriptions often (but not always) note that shrinkage is "negligable". If someone wanted to cast a long/oblong/slender pieces ('58 Edsel and mid-'60s & up Thunderbird taillights come to mind), even a tiny bit of shrinkage would effect dimensions--especially where waterproof fit against a gasket and bezel is needed.

Has anyone had any experience with larger and longer castings? Is there a better formula available for one application vs. another?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The examples shown are all relatively small/squarish pieces, and the resin descriptions often (but not always) note that shrinkage is "negligable". If someone wanted to cast a long/oblong/slender pieces ('58 Edsel and mid-'60s & up Thunderbird taillights come to mind), even a tiny bit of shrinkage would effect dimensions--especially where waterproof fit against a gasket and bezel is needed.

Has anyone had any experience with larger and longer castings? Is there a better formula available for one application vs. another? </div></div>

David,

With Silicone RTV rubber molding compounds, properly mixed and cured, the shrinkage rate is almost always quoted by the manufacturers at +/- .10%(1/10th of one percent). The same is true of urethane resins, be they clear or opaque.

Art

• 7 years later...