1955 Buick Century "Highway Patrol" article and possible DVD

Reatta Man

There's a neat article with great photos of a replica 1955 Buick Century 2-door published in Auto Week recently. The article is at:

http://www.highwaypatroltv.com/AutoWeek2005/

I think it is a replica because the <span style="font-weight: bold">Highway Patrol </span> fan Web site says the 1955 Buick Century 2-door was never offered for sale to the public.

Did the Century have four portholes (Ventiports)? I thought those only came on a Super.

OK, Super and Century fans, is this correct? Was the Century 2-door never offered to the public? If so, that car may be the only "production" car made only for a government agency and never sold to the public!

If I'm wrong, I know this will generate some interesting replies, but I love reading the incredible level of detail some of you BCAers know and remember.

The <span style="font-weight: bold">Highway Patrol </span> fan Web site is located at:

http://www.highwaypatroltv.com/

By the way, the Web site has a link to Sony TV productions to vote for the next old show to be released on DVD. If you would like to see what may be the most famous Buick of all time be released on DVD, be sure to go vote!

Joe

Joe, this is a great topic. The Century 2-door hardtop (66R Riviera) was sold in quantity to the public, but the Century 2-door sedan (68) was sold only to the California Highway Patrol. Goltz's car is a Special 2-door hardtop with Century front fenders and ornamentation. All series (Century, Super, Roadmaster) except Special received the four portholes during the 1955 - 1957 model years.

I have a single episode of "Highway Patrol" with numerous sequences featuring the '55 Century patrol cars, and would love to have numerous episodes available for viewing.

I've had it in the back of my mind to write to Goltz and invite him to bring his Buick and his Highway Patrol memorabilia to the BCA National in Seattle in a couple of years. I've not checked the latest roster, but Goltz has been a BCA member, and his car was featured in a past issue of the Bugle.

A couple of the original California Highway Patrol Buicks remain in existence and have been fully restored. Those of us who attended the '91 BCA National in Sacramento were able to see one of these cars firsthand.

Buick_Police_Car_1955.jpg

I was interested to learn last year that the Wyoming Highway Patrol operated 1954 Buicks, and a group of Wyoming retirees has restored this '54 Buick police car. (Problem with the pictures staying up. I'll try again later.)

Brian,

Thanks for the great details. In the post-WWII world of police cars, most of them were stripped down Chevies (Biscayne or 150)Ford (Custom or Custom 500) or MOPARs. The idea of a state getting GM to make a special car JUST FOR THEM and it NOT be another stripped down Chevy, but rather a powerful Buick is fascinating.

Do you know what California did with their old police cars? Were they sold to the public like most cities do now?

Brian,

Thanks for the great details. In the post-WWII world of police cars, most of them were stripped down Chevies (Biscayne or 150)Ford (Custom or Custom 500) or MOPARs. The idea of a state getting GM to make a special car JUST FOR THEM and it NOT be another stripped down Chevy, but rather a powerful Buick is fascinating.

CHP had specs written to eliminate lighter cars, no Fords, Chevies or Plymouths during the 50/60/70's.

1956 Pontiac/Oldsmobile and Dodge coupes

1957 Pontiac and Dodge coupes

1958 Dodge and Mercury

1959 Dodge Coupe

1960/61 Dodge Polara sedan

1962 Chrysler Newport sedan

1963/64 Dodge 880 sedan

1965/66 Dodge Polara sedan

1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 sedan

1968/69 Dodge Polara sedan

1970 Mercury Monterey sedan

1971 through 1981 various Dodge sedans

The rest of the '80's had assorments of Impala/Caprice, Crown Victoria, Diplomat, Mustang and Camaro.

For 1967 Oldsmobile won the contract to provide cars for Ca. Highway Patrol.

67 Delmont 88 "Apprehender" 425 engine with dual exhaust, th400 trans, 3:08 open rear end, disc brakes, oversize rear drums, 15" wheels, HD springs, rear sway bar package, engine oil and transmission coolers, police certified speedometer, heavy duty seat springs, with unique CHP seat covers, rubber floor covering, rear window defogger, relocated spare tire storage, black paint with white top and front doors. No air conditioning! 1,428 in the fleet, 3 known remaining (to me anyway).

Do you know what California did with their old police cars? Were they sold to the public like most cities do now?

Sold at public auction, my 67 Olds Delmont was purchased at a state auction in September 1970. I found it on eBay as part of the owners estate.

Henry