Is it a 33 or 34 ford coupe?

AkronCranker

I recently acquired a ford 3 window coupe,fairly complete but no hood.The grill is a 33 for sure but I'm wondering what other areas I should look at as I want to obtain the correct title.I cant be sure the grill is orig.If there are V.I.N #s where do I look for them? The orig. drive line is also gone.I'm thankful for any help please! Thanx again: Big Ak

Guest Stllrng.

With no hood and no grill you have removed the two most obvious indicators. There is one more that will tell what you have but it is hard to describe. On the doors of a 34, there is a flat sheet metal piece at the rear of the window opening. On a 33 the window opening is wide open. If you look at some pictures of '33 and '34 Fords you will see what I mean. I hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently acquired a ford 3 window coupe,fairly complete but no hood.The grill is a 33 for sure but I'm wondering what other areas I should look at as I want to obtain the correct title.I cant be sure the grill is orig.If there are V.I.N #s where do I look for them? The orig. drive line is also gone.I'm thankful for any help please! Thanx again: Big Ak </div></div>

There should have been a patent data plate on the firewall, and of course, the original engine number would have been the original VIN, as that is how cars got titled back then.

If you have the grille and hood, there are your best indicators: Stainless steel frame of the 33 grille is very small, delicate looking, and is slightly lower than the top panels of the hood, which curve downward to meet the frame of the grille. Grille bars on a '33 Ford are slightly concave when viewed from the side, and the hood side louvers are slightly curved to match.

the 34 Grille frame is much thicker, rises up to the level of the top of the hood, so hood panels are straight, meet the edge of the grille straight-on, with a trailing teardrop shaped trim extending back, under the radiator cap. When viewed from the side, '34 grille bars are straight, but are "tucked inward" at top and bottom about an inch or so, to meet the framing. Hood side louvers are angled to match the grille bars, and are straight. However, '33 and '34 hoods and grille are interchangeable between the two years.

Art

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With no hood and no grill you have removed the two most obvious indicators. There is one more that will tell what you have but it is hard to describe. On the doors of a 34, there is a flat sheet metal piece at the rear of the window opening. On a 33 the window opening is wide open. If you look at some pictures of '33 and '34 Fords you will see what I mean. I hope this helps. </div></div>

'34 Ford 3-window coupe does not have the shield at the back of the side window openings though. That was a feature of the 5-window, Tudor and Fordor sedans and Victoria. It was done so that the door glass could slide back, before rolling down, in case you wanted a sort-of vent wing ventillation. The 3-window door glass cannot slike back, simply because the rear upper door curves forward to the top, precluding any room for the sliding window ventillation.

Art

Hello Art: Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to reply to my inquiry;it appears that the coupe is a '33.The car was my Dad's next project to complete which he never had enough time for;and now he's gone,may God bless him.He always called it a '33 but I recall that as I became interested some years back, I had seen a '34 somewhere that looked very similar so I asked him if he was sure his was a '33. Well, I remember that he took off his hat and scratched his head with a bewildered look on his face and says:"I'm purdy sure". Well anyway, Mom said that I should try to complete it as it was a dream of his for many years and that he probably wouldn't have wanted it to go to a stranger and besides, I'm the only son that ever had any interest in his dream. So thank you again for taking the time, for all your help, and all the best to you sir. Thanx once again BigAk.

That is one of the best reasons to restore that '33! My 1937 Harley is a twin to the one my Dad bought new. There is a real nice original 1933 3Window that a friend has two towns up, I'll ask him about any 33-34 differances and take some photos if I can. Good luck with your project. There is a differance in the hood latches two on the 1933 and four on a 1934.

Does the dash happen to be present and accounted for? 33 had an engine turned gauge cluster while the one on the 34 was woodgrained, like the rest of the dash. Also, the door pulls on a 33 were small, chrome rings at the top center of the door panel while the 34 had a long, fabric band. Let me know if you need any detail shots and I can snap some quick digital pictures of my 34 5w coupe.