'52 Special exhaust mods?

The exhaust in my '52 special (263 straight 8) has some leaks that I'm tired of temporarily patching. I would like to get a little better performance with dual exhaust and eventually dual carbs. My ideal setup would be headers. I can't find any, and I can't find anyone to make a custom set. My second choice would be a split manifold from a '41 or '42, but from what I'm told you have to cut and modify the motor mount to use one of these. A third option is to split the existing manifold (3 cylinders to one pipe and 5 cylinders to another). Have any of you done this, and how does it sound and perform? The last and least desirable option is to use the existing manifold and use a Y pipe to split the exhaust before the mufflers. Does this do anything to help it breathe, improve performance, or make it sound louder and better? I'm quite frustrated and haven't been able to get any real awnsers. Please help.

thanks,

scott

Splitting the pipe and running out the back will not change the sound or the performance. You are correct that the 41 system will require motor mount work. Splitting the stock manifold is something that has been done in the past, and they sound COOL!! It makes a very different sound, and the only problem is that if you ever want to change back, a replacement manifold cost is prohibitive . ($600)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You are correct that the 41 system will require motor mount work. Splitting the stock manifold is something that has been done in the past, and they sound COOL!! It makes a very different sound, </div></div>

The one you heard, was it split 3/5 or 4/4? I'm starting to wonder if I can even fit anything dual exhaust without motor mount work. See I forgot to mention I have the 3 on the tree synchromesh transmission and there is hardly any room between the motor mount and shift linkages. Any advice? confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While you wont find someone to make your headers, they are not hard to make yourself if you can fabricate and weld.

Check out Headers by Edfor lots of opinions, information and parts. </div></div>

At this point I can't make them myself, but some day....

thanks for the info and I welcome more.

Splitting them 4&4 makes them sound like a V8, and the 3&5 split makes them sound like an old Chris Craft boat. I have duals on my 40 ,so I don't have the motor mount problem, but if you run the back pipe in the regular position, and the front one under the pan , you should have no clearance problem

Guest Straight eight

While attending GMI my roommate had a 51 Super, and worked for Denver Buick. He split his manifold 5 and 3, left the five on the stock muffler, and used a glass pack on the three, VERY COOL, and Distinctive. cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you run the back pipe in the regular position, and the front one under the pan , you should have no clearance problem </div></div>

I don't exactly follow. From front to back, I have the generator, motor mount, single exhaust pipe, then shift linkages. You're saying run one exhaust pipe where it is, and where does the other one go to get under the pan? Sorry, I couldn't get my pic. attached.