Packard Keys

pint4

Does anyone know if the same key works for both the ignition and glove box for a 1937 Packard Model 120? Does the same key also work for the trunk? I lost my key and rather than pull the ignition switch out of the car, I thought it would be easier and less expensive to bring the locksmith my glove box door or trunk handle. The locksmith told me he might be able to make a key if he knew the number off the ignition switch that would allow him to figure out the code. Any thoughts about that idea.

Thanks.

Bob

Guest imported_PackardV8

Most switches of that vintage are easily disassembled. Find a any key u have laying around that will slide in. File the brass wafers flush with the cylinder. If u find the old key later on it will still work too.

Guest BigKev

Do you think that would work on a '54? I have a NOS trunk lock with key. But I am missing the keys for the other locks (ignition, doors, glove box).

I was just about to pop them all out and take the locks to a locksmith. But if all I have to do if file down the tumblers then great. That will probably save me $50 or so. Maybe I will test it out on the glovebox lock.

Guest BigKev

Well I answered by own question. I had an extra glove box lock but no key. So I took the original packard key that came with the NOS trunk lock, put the key in and filed down the tumblers with a dremel tool, and bingo. Works like a champ. Now to see if the doors and ignition will follow suit.

Nice tip there PackardV8!!! You just saved me $50

Guest imported_PackardV8

I'm not sure what condition your locks are in. Ususally, after 20 or 30 years of even just moderate use most locks will wear so much that at least 1 out of every 20 keys will work. If u are trying to keep the locks keyed to original factory access (one for trunk, one for ign, glove box) or however they came then u probably need to take it too a lock smith and tell him how u want it once u find out. DO U HAVE any other keys to the car???

Side note: Filing the wafers is NOT a work around. Locksmiths do it in some situations. SOME BUT NOT ALL, locks allow for the wafers to be removed and re positioned in the cylinder or replaced with other wafers for a specific key.

Ok when I got my car there as no trunk key. Ignition key was same as drivers door and glove box is a different key. Anyhow I took the car to a locksmith and he began "imagineering" a key after removing the cylinder. He'd file a blank key a while and try it and so on. Went back next day for pair of keys that work for $15.

Now I am curious as to what keys fit what locks. Does anyone who owns a 37 Packard 120 know what keys fit which locks? Is there one key that fits everything? What other locks does the Ignition Key lock and unlock?

Thanks.

Bob

Guest imported_PackardV8

i could never understand why anyone would want a locking glove box anyway. Kind'a like having a locking nostril. I prefer to have one, exactly one and only ONE key to fit all.

I think all you need to do is get a set of new tumblers and then stick the key in and grind the excess off the outside. and you now have lock rekeyed to match the existing keys.

there a guy on ebay who always selling nos 40 glove compartment locks. You might check it out if the tumbler assemblies are interchanable.

Joe

If I understand it correctly, in 1937 for the Packard 120, there were two keys. One key fit the doors and ignition and the other key fit the glove compartment door and the trunk. Did I get this right? What about the rumble seat?

I think I'm closer than ever.

Bob

Bob, that's right. The ignition key should also fit the lock on the front passenger door. The driver door should not have a lock.