A tour in Norway with a Buick 40-56s

Guffin

My wife and I just returned from a 1700 mile tour to Norway mountain region in our new Buick 40-56S. We bought the car last fall in the USA and had it transported to Sweden in April. We bought the car unseen, only by the description by the seller, a BCA member. It is a very nice car, fast and reliable with good brakes and engine. We could make most hills on the third gear and only in the sharp hairpin curves of the steepest mountain roads we had to change to second gear because we had to pass at very low speed. Norway is a beautiful country, especially the mountain areas that covers most of the country. The brakes were quite OK and I have difficulties to understand why some ?restorers? take the trouble to change to disk brakes.

9904Road_55_Buick_IMG_4566_copy-med.JPG

The second day we took main road on high altitude and found a lot of snow still on the ground. A main road in Norway may be rather narrow. We also used some smaller roads connecting valleys across the mountains. These roads were very narrow and you had to be careful if you meet another car. Sometimes it was very scary when you meet with a car and there is a near vertical slope on your right and no railing.

9904IMG_4556_copy-med.JPG

The third day we went on a long narrow road to a glassier. The last three miles we had to walk on a rather steep path. The glassier is was light blue and the melt water created a big and beautiful water fall.

9904Sheeps_on_the_mountain_roa_copy-med.jpg

Most interesting was the visit to Geiranger and Hotel Union. This is a hotel that has been popular for German and British tourists for at least 100 years. In the old days the tourists were taken on tours to interesting and beautiful places in big, strong open cars. Because of the steep and long hills only the biggest and strongest cars were used. Of cause, the biggest and strongest cars were found in the USA and therefore man Buick 90, Studebaker President and other Phaetons were imported . The present owner of the Union Hotel has managed to boy back some of the cars used in the 20'is and 30'is and they are now displayed in the basement of the hotel. All are in running order and sometimes they are taken out on tours.

9904Geiranger_village_and_fjord_copy-med.JPG

The way home was over Trollstigen, a fantastic windling road down the mountain. From Trollstigen we went over the boarder to Sweden and to Tanndalen where an old car rally took place. On the way to Lidingo we visited a farmer in Bollnas. He had several barn full of prewar Volvo cars and parts. He recently acquired an Volvo 1930?, an original car and he bought it from the first owner.

Now when we are home we are happy for the 100 pictures we took in high resolution. I only show a few photos here but if somebody is interested I can send a CD with all pictures.

If somebody would like a guided tour (now when I know the nicest places) in a prewar car in Norway I will be happy to make the tour again. A few years ago we made a similar tour in out Hupmobile 1929. It is also a lovely car but, unfortunately, it takes a lot of gas, and gas is expensive over here.

Jan and Kaoru

• Like 1

Jan, this is a wonderful report. I'm thankful that the '40 Buick has worked out so well, and I appreciate the excellent photos you've posted here. I can see that this was indeed a spectacular tour! What a wonderful way to enjoy a pre-war Buick.

My son just got home from Norway this week, his 3rd trip. He goes there every 2 years to Base Jump from the mountain cliffs. The movies taken from his helmet camera are simply fantastic. What a beautiful country.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Jan and Kaouru,

What a beautiful country. and how nice it must have been touring it in such a classic Buick. So what season is it there now and what were the daily temperatures. So the 40 didn't give any problems all the way?

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and share the highlights of your trip in the Me and My Buick Forum. But hey, we've seen your Buick now, how about some people pictures. I really enjoy reading posts such as yours in this forum. Sorta like a continuing Buick Family Journal. smile.gif

Thank you. I am happy that you liked my post.

It is summer now in Norway. In the valleys it is warm and nice but up in the mountains it is a little chilly. You can se that from all the snow that still remains.

Why should the Buick give any problem, the best car ever build! It is just to keep it in good condition. Also our Hupmobile 1929 managed the hills in Norway without any problem.

I have posted some more photos and I hope they soon will appear.

Thank you for the wonderful pictures of Norway and your car. That must have been a fantastic trip!

My father's mother came from Norway to the states in the late 19th or early 20th Century. My father also had a Hupmobile in his youth. It was one of his first cars. I'm not sure of the year, but it was probably from the 1920s. Unfortunately, the car was stolen from their homestead in northern Minnesota some time in the '50s or '60s. It had been parked there since the 1930s or 40s. The theft was probably a professional job, as the car was lifted from where it was sitting--all four tire marks were left intact! It was evidently put on a trailer. Someone knew it was valuable. I remember he said it had a big wooden steering wheel, and louvers on the radiator that automatically opened and closed depending on engine temperature.

For some reason, I have never looked at pictures of Norway like you have posted. I'd like to see more! Also, if you have any shots of the Hupmobile, they would be fun to see.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Jan the new pictures you posted in the Photo Gallery are also awesome.Is it just me folks or does the world look a lot bigger in Norway. smirk.gif and thanks for the people shots. You've really got me to thinking of doing a little touring in the good ol US of A in one of my Roadmasters. that is if I can ever make time to get one that roadworthy.

thanks again

Gay, there are some photos of our Hupmobile in "Members gallery". Sad story with your fathers Hupmobile. I wonder where it may be today.

http://photos.aaca.org/showgallery.php?ppuser=9904

I bought the 1929 Hupp from the first owner in 1960. It had been standing in a garage since the outbreak of the war in 1939. It is an unrestored car but as we have used it much for all long tours it has been repaired as needed. Also the paint is essentially original but repair of scratches and peels has been made during the years. Now I have no more paint of that kind so I don't know what to do in the future. The woodgraining and interior is also original but the inner door handles are reproductions. Unfortunately, the rear seat is not in good condition because the dirty wheel rims were stored there during the war. The tires were taken by the army.

The Hupp has a straight 8 sidevalve engine with pressure fed oil to all bearings (including the piston pins) and a full flow oil cleaner. It now has a modern oil cleaner and insert rod bearings and pistons but else it is original. The lion on the radiator cap is not an Hupp item. It was put on the car by the first owner when it was new. It was a "left over" car and was sold first in 1930. The price was 13500 kr (In USA the price was $2048) so it was more expensive than a comparable Auburn. It has the automatic louvers on the radiator still working.

It is a good quality car and the only trouble we have had with it is a bad rod bearing (caused by the old oil filter, now changed to modern bearings), oil leak on a rear brake drum (now changed to modern seals) and a broken door lock.

Jan

Guffin,

Nice pictures! Would you care to identify some of the people and their relation to you? The picture at the table seems to be the whole crew. Did you all travel together in Norway?

The Hupp is a world traveler! All the way to Scotland. It's a beautiful car. My father's had a rumble seat, so it was obviously not as big as yours. I never saw it, but he told of taking people for "joy rides" in the rumble seat. It must have been some kind of roadster. I may be mistaken, but I recall him saying that the wooden steering wheel was also heated!

All your cars look very well cared for. They're lucky they found such a good home. smile.gif

The four people around the table are, from left to right, myself, our friend Tor from Stockholm, (his Norwegian father owns the houses), My wife Kaoru (from Tokyo) and my friend's wife, Sato (from Finland). The people in front of the new Norwegian house are Kaoru, myself and the father of Tor. Only my wife and I went on the tour and we stayed over one night with these friends. The other people in front of the church and at the glassier are just turists.

Of these people, only I am an Old Car Nut. My wife accept the cars but she is not fond of them. Therefore I am always eager to invite other people to tour with me (anybody interested?).

The Buick is a very nice car to drive. It is nearly as driving a modern car. On long tours it is better than my daily driver, a Colt from 1982.

Jan