Buick 1940 turn signal automatic return?

Guffin

Should there be automatic return of the turn signal on a 1940 Buick? It is no automatic return on my car but there are some clicking sound when you turn the steering wheel so I suspected that there was some kind of non functioning mechanism in the wheel hub for this purpose.

If there should be automatic return, how do I get into the wheel hub?

Jan

Yes, the turn indicators on the 1940 Buicks were self-cancelling. To access the mechanism, you need to remove the steering wheel. Steering wheel removal depends on whether you have a banjo-type with a horn ring or the three plastic spoke type with a center button. To remove the wheel, you need to use a puller after exposing and removing the nut retaining the wheel. On the horn ring type, there are three screws on the reverse side of the wheel hub. On the three-spoke type, the center horn button will pry out exposing the nut. When you use the puller, be sure you don't damage the horn wire button that fits into the hollow steering shaft; use a small socket to protect it from the puller center-piece. Once you have the turn indicator mechanism exposed, removal is simple. As I recall, there are a few screws that need to be removed and then the assembly is removed by prying out the ball retainers. Work carefully and slowly, take good notes, and the job should be fairly easy. Also, the switch assembly comes apart easily for cleaning once you have it out of the car. This would also be a good time to replace the horn wire that goes down the center of the steering shaft. The insulation on many of these older cars is bad and if the wire grounds to the steering shaft, your horn will blow with no effort on your part. Simple job of soldering on both ends of the wire. Good luck.

Not sure if the '40 is the same as my '51, but my turn signal wasn't cancelling on left turns. Took the steering wheel off, and found that there are two spring loaded levers attached to the column, and these levers follow a cam that is part of the steering wheel hub. When the high point of the cam moves the lever, it cancels the turn signal. Anyway, the area that makes contact with the cam on one of the levers was worn down compared to the other. I built it up with weld and ground it smooth so that the profile matched the other lever. Put it all back together, and it works like a charm!

Thank you Pete and Charles. I looked at my wheel and it is the banjo type with a horn ring. The reverse side of the wheel is covered so I could not see the three screws holding the wheel. It looks rather complicated to remove the cover as the gear shifter prevents it from sliding down. Am I on the right track????

Jan

Again, not sure if the 51 is the same as a 40, but to take the wheel off, pop off the decorative emblem in the center. This will expose three screws that hold on the horn ring. After taking the horn ring off, the large nut will be exposed. Pry down the lockwasher tabs, remove the nut, and use a steering wheel puller to yank the wheel off the shaft.

The screws are on the rear of the steering wheel on the 1940's; they are not real obvious. They are sunk below the surface of the reverse side of the steering wheel so you have to look carefully. As I recall, the screws are Phillips-head and are about 5mm below the surface. Try using a mirror to look for them. Good luck!

Yes! I found three small screws under the wheel. Obviously, the -40 wheel is not the same as the -51 because the middle part can't be removed.

Next week my wife and I are making a roud trip in Norway mountain and fjord region (in this Buick) so I have to wait until we are back to look inside the wheel (in case I would mess up something).

Thank you. nice to have friends to ask. I am new to the 1940 Buick. I got the car from USA two months ago so I have much to learn.

Jan