Antilock warning light

Went cruising yesterday for about 6 hours. Sometime during the 6th hour, my antilock warning light came on. Brakes appeared to function normally, so I kept driving. Upon arriving home, I turned the car off, then restarted it - the antilock light came on for a few seconds, then went out, seemed like normal operation - drove for several miles, and the antilock light did not come on again. I believe that the antilock light by itself indicates a possible computer problem, both the antilock light and the brake warning light indicates hydraulic problems as well. The question I have is: Does the antilock light coming on indicate a potential computer failure, even though it does not come on anymore (except for the start-up sequence)? As I said, all braking functions seem normal.

Tom

TCA # 2025

Have you checked your accumulator condition yet? The service manual has a complete, easy to follow diagnostic chart for the ABS system. In cases where the yellow anti-lock warning is sporadic, you may want to clean the cogs behind the wheels where the sensors are. Sometimes dirt or small rocks can get caught and damage or confuse the magnetic sensor.

Larry,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have not had the accumulator "formally" checked; however, I follow a routine outlined a few years ago in the newsletter to determine the general condition of the accumulator (I think you wrote the article!). After starting the car, I wait for the antilock light to go out, then I pump the brakes, after 8 - 10 pumps, my antilock light comes back on, but I believe that the article indicated that this was a "generally" normal operation. Anyway, I usually perform this test at least once a month. I will check for dirt accumulation at the sensors as suggested as I recently had work done on the car and its possible some alignment may have changed.

Tom

The extensive section in the TC shop manual on how to diagnose the ABS system may not help you too much. Unfortunately, your intermittent problem does not fit into one of their diagnostic "molds". If brake and clutch cleaner on the sensors and cogs do not solve the problem you may need the "Miller tool" mentioned in the book to pinpoint the problem. I have a couple of them so contact me if you need further help.