1937 Special w/special needs

Seriously thinking of a 350 Buick and 400 turbo in my 37. Anyone here do this swap? What year did Buick go with hardened valve seats for unleaded gas? Guessing 1977, sound close. Left side manifold clearence I'm sure could be an issue, any ideas? Anything you guys got would be of interest, thanks Dan. cool.gif

Hope you've got your bulletproof vest on, Dan.

Welcome to the forums. I'd do a Google search for some hotrodding web sites such as www.jalopyjournal.com and www.hotrodders.com. They'll have a lot more information on engine swaps than this site which is pretty much dedicated to helping preserve original cars in original condition. Be ready for some heated cross-talk about that subject in subsequent posts.

There's also a hot-rod Buick site somewhere on-line (again, do a Google seach and you'll find it). I'm sure they'll have some much more specific information about modifying your particular car.

Remember that engine swaps aren't really a bolt-in proposition. In addition to the engine and transmission, you'll have to upgrade the rear end, because the torque-tube driveline in your '37 is not compatible with a modern TH400. Then when you upgrade the rear, you'll have to modify the brakes because your '37's original master cylinder probably won't move enough volume for the brakes on the new rear. And if you're doing that, you should probably upgrade the front brakes, not only for compatibility reasons, but for safety reasons--this car will be A LOT faster with a modern motor in it and the original brakes probably won't be up to the task. And once you start adapting modern brakes to the front end, you'll probably find it easier to just install a different suspension and steering system, and, well, you can see how it gets out of hand.

It isn't just an engine swap, it's a total re-engineering of the entire car. That's a very big job, and also why pro-built cars are so expensive. There's a lot of engineering that goes into properly re-engineering an old car, and there are some beautifully crafted home-made rods out there that I wouldn't trust at 20 MPH, let alone 75 beacuse of some basic flaws in their "upgrades."

I usually recommend that you decide how you're going to use your car and make it suitable for that. Sure, if you're going to race it, you'll want to upgrade. But as a hobby car for sunny days, an original car with an original engine should be capable of cruising all day at 50-55 MPH and will keep up with stop-and-go traffic without much difficulty--do you need more than that and ask yourself why? Only you can answer that.

There's a lot to be said for the pleasure of driving an original car and to me, that's part of the fun. I've done hot rods and race cars, but I always come back to the original old cars. My 4-cylinder Mazda can go faster, but there's just something about driving that old iron that can't be recreated any other way. It's about more than just speed. Way more. Just my opinion.

Enjoy your car, whatever you ultimately choose to do with it. That's the important thing. And again, welcome.

Thanks for your reply Matt. I understand fully what you are saying about modifieing the rest of the car. I just finished my 57 Chevy with power disc brakes, power rack & pinion steering, fuel injected 350 with a 5 speed manual. Now that it and my 69 Barracuda are finished (it to modified) I'm ready for my Buick streetrod project. I drove my 57 for 23 years after I restored it back to original and am enjoying the car more than ever now that its been rodded. Restored cars are fine, always like to see them, just not in my garage. I am still in the planning stage for the 37, just putting out some feelers for this motor, never owned one but I think it would make a great cruiser engine. At one time I considered keeping the straight eight, love the look of it, just don't think I can get enough power from it to keep me happy. Anyway, thanks again. PS, I don't do Japanese cars ever, no matter where the put them together! wink.gif

I have a 37 Special coupe with a 455 and a TH400. As Matt says, it takes a complete reengineering job to make them safe. I run a Mustang ll front end ,but I am not sure it is the best way to go. I hung a 2.56 Camaro posi in the back and it makes a GREAT road car.