more 401 nailhead questions

The 401 nailhead on my 66 GS is of uncertain age/mileage, but is supposedly pretty fresh (i.e., guy I purchased from said the guy ~he~ purchased it from rebuilt it, but didn't have details). Anyway, the car runs fine, but uses some oil; say, around a quart per 1000 miles. Questions: 1) is this excessive? 2) Does anyone recommend additives for reducing oil consumption on a nailhead? and, 3) Since I'm not sure what type of valves/guides were put in during the last rebuild, should I be using a fuel additive to compensate for what ~might~ be original style materials that were designed for leaded fuel?

• 2 months later...

Nailhead, I'll take a stab at ansewering some of your questions. There could be several problems with your "rebuilt" engine,(1) he lied to you, the engine wasn't rebuilt,(2) It was rebuilt but rebuilt very poorly, It might have gotten honed and ringed but really needed a rebore, (3) A change in your oil type or weight might help, make sure you are using the correct oil for your application, dont use synthetic oils in a freshly rebuilt engine as the rings may not seat (4) the rings may not be Seated yet, (5) No, there is no "MAGIC" additive that can correct a mechanical problem, and (6) There is a discussion on the "general" board about lead free fuels. Hope this helps!!!!

• 5 months later...

I'd say the oil consumption is on the high side, but with a freshly rebuilt engine, things might need time to settle.

Regarding leaded fuel, I've been running 93 Octane unleaded with no problems. I have read various places that the Nailhead heads are not as susceptible to the problems with lack-of-lead as other heads are.

1,000 miles per quart was acceptable when they were new. We have been spoiled by the new technology that will allow engines to run 3,000 miles per quart. In the 50s-60s it was generally accepted that engines ran 700 miles or so , and that let you know that they were being properly lubricated. I think if you poll the general Buick population you will find that most of their cars from the 30s throught the 60s did not do much better.