62 Starfire Convertible

Guest Tom Pawlik

Guest Tom Pawlik

I have just started restoring a 62 Starfire. The aluminum trim panels that run the length of the car are in fair condition. Can these panels be polished? Because of the grooves machined into the panels can door dings/dents be repaired. I would hate to put the panels back on the car in their current condition after restoring the rest of the car. I have found additional panels but they are all in about the same condition. Is there anyone making replica panels. TIA for any info.

It would be a very complicated repair. A guy in Canada reproduced the 62 and 63 trim for a while but I don't know how much if any of it is still available. PM me and I'll put you in touch with a couple of 62 Starfire guys who may know where to find some decent trim. Also remember there are early and late versions of this trim- late has a bead moulding, early does not. The bead moulding was added a couple months into production in response to complaints about door dings.

What's galling is there's a guy in NY who is hoarding seven complete NOS sets of 62 side trim, just waiting for the kill. I hate to imagine the money he'll ask when he finally decides to sell.

Guest Tom Pawlik

I have the later version with the bead down the center. Which is also damaged. Seven sets. Hmm, anybody have his address? Seriously, I guess if he owns them he can sell them when he wants to. Anybody know how to contact him? I can't stand the thought of putting the panels back on in their current condition. Fortunately, I have lots of work to do before the panels become a crisis.

Any source for NOS or remanufactured would be greatly appreciated.

My email address is tpawlik@ocincnet.com. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

For those interested, there is a gentleman in Ontario who is currently reproducing these panels. $2500/set. With or without holes for the bead moldings. I haven't seen them in person, but he had a sample at the Olds Homecoming last weekend and I've been told they are impressive looking. '61 and '63 to be available in the future.

Paul Hartlieb

Cirrus Blue '62 Starfire Coupe

Paul, if it's the same guy who did them earlier they should be very impressive. The early ones he did satisfied John Kleedorfer, and that's saying something.

Someday I will get to Homecoming. As it was, we went to Carlisle All-GM this past weekend. Biggest Olds turnout for that show yet, with some very high-quality cars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As it was, we went to Carlisle All-GM this past weekend.</div></div>

You did? I didn't see you. 'Course the Starfire sprung a radiator leak Friday night, so my buddy and I had to go in Dad's Corvette. I wasn't under the tent much. I even thought to myself as we were leaving, "Hey, I didn't see Glenn today".

Paul

• 1 month later...

I saw a NOS driver or passenger side door panel at the OCA meet in Parsippany in 2001..$ 600 though....imagine if you got the entire set NOS...You would have to sell your kids and donate your blood and still owe a copule thousand dollars to purchase the set!!!

• 2 months later...