decoding 1955 Pontiac VIN K755H2113

Guest Phil Stark

Guest Phil Stark

I need help decoding the VIN of a 1955 Pontiac that I have purchased. Thanks for the help. The VIN is K755H2113

I will pull the 55 Pontiac book out tonight and post tomorrow. You should also decode the interior / trim paint plate that is located on the passenger side firewall. Should have a interior # like #284 and a paint code like #5595 or sometimes it is just #95. I have all these codes including the running changes issued in April of 1955.

Guest Phil Stark

Thanks. On the tag on the firewall is the following info: Style # 55-2519D; Body BK-574; Trim #260; and Paint #01.

Hopefully this will help.

Vin # K755H2113; K=Kansas plant (built), 7= model series (27 series, 28 series was the higher end models), 55= production / model year, H= hydramatic transmission, 2113= production serial number (starts at 1001) you appear to have an early car. Note; vin # is also stamped on machined pad located on front of right hand bank of engine block. (check to see if engine is original)

Style #55-2519D 55= production / model year, 2519D=Body type. Decodes to a 4-door Chiefton sedan deluxe 27 series 870 model. Pontiac also had a 27 series 860 model which was a 2-door Chiefton (lower end). A 4-door Chiefton sedan deluxe 27 series 870 model weighed 3,511 pounds, base price new was approximately $2,268 and production was 91,187 units. Total Pontiac 1955 production (model year) was 554,090 units with calendar year 581,560 of which included the start of the 56 model year.

Trim #260= Blue cloth interior (solid color)

Paint #01 (or on some plates #5501) Beaumont Blue (solid color & the 2nd color offered this year). Pontiac originally offered 14 solid and 26 two-tone colors. April running production added 1 solid and 13 two-tone colors. Total 1955 colors were 14 solid and 26 two-tones.

Interesting facts (for us Pontiac fans):

Pontiac offered many different body styles for its series 27 (Model 860 and 870) and 28 (Star Chief) line up. Chieftain series 27 included the Catalina Coupe Deluxe, 2-Door Sedan, 2-Door Sedan Deluxe, 4-Door Sedan, 4-Door Sedan Deluxe, 4-Door Station Wagon, 4-Door Station Wagon Deluxe, and 2-Door Station Wagon. The Star Chief series 28 included the Safari 2-Door Wagon, Convertible Coupe, 4-Door Sedan, 4-Door Sedan Deluxe and the 2-Door Custom Catalina. The fancy 2-Door Safari Wagon was a high priced offering with a retail list of $2,962, so its no surprise that only 3,636 were made. The Star Chief convertible listed for $2,691 and the Custom Catalina started at $2,499 and went up from there.

The 287.2 CI V/8 engine (3 million development test miles) wasn?t the only big news at Pontiac that year. Other significant improvements included a 12 volt electrical system replacing the weaker six-volt setup, a wraparound windshield, a wide range of new colors in single and two tone combinations, tubeless tires, improved air conditioning, more efficient power brakes, re-engineered ventilation system with cowl ducts, availability of a four-barrel carburetor as a option, new interior color schemes and improvements in the Hydra-Matic transmission.

Other 1955 facts included the death of Albert Einstein and James Dean, plus the retirement of Winston Churchill. One of the biggest news items of the 1955 year was the opening of a new family park staffed with cartoon characters, a place called Disneyland.

Good luck with your Pontiac, I'm kinda of partial to them. See attachment! smile.gif

Guest Phil Stark

Thanks Ron for all of the great help! That will get me started in the right direction. This car appears to be original and was sitting in storage since 1962. Thanks again.