Lead Substitute

'53 Windsor

Guest imported_tigermoth

skinned knuckles editors looked at this quite closely years ago when lead was being removed. with all of their research and testing they saw no reason to use lead additives. none. if you have an extremely high compression engine there should be at least one gas station in your area that sells auto racing fuel. consider all of the testing done by skinned knuckles (a publication which accepts NO advertising dollars) and leave the lead additive on the store shelf. sincerely, tom

Guest Ken G

As a tangent, since others go off on tangents! In connection with my old Rover I am frequently asked what I do about lead-free gas. My reaction is two-fold.

1. Leaded gasoline was not introduced until well after my car was manufactured, so I have no qualms about using unleaded.

2. When unleaded fuel was introduced, I suppose in the 1980s, there were all sorts of discussions about the effects on engines, and my father was wryly amused that the arguments exactly matched those in the 1930s when leaded fuel was first introduced!

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (San Francisco)

Guest De Soto Frank

Would also add that the original quest was for an additive that would prevent gasoline motor fuels from knocking (spark detonation). This became a serious problem during the 1920's, as compression ratios slowly began creeping upwards.

A variety of additives were tested, among them aniline (a dye), which produced a very offensive odor, and iodine, which corroded the inside of the engine...

Finally, tetra-ethyl lead was found to be a suitable anti-knock compound.

The men who perfected it were Charles Kettering (electric starter, among other innovations), and Thomas Midgely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>"Finally, tetra-ethyl lead was found to be a suitable anti-knock compound.

The men who perfected it were Charles Kettering (electric starter, among other innovations), and Thomas Midgely."

And they did it in 1924. However, it did not come into general use until about two years later.

hvs