Grease fittings on -40 Buick?

Guffin

I am a new owner of a Buick 1940 Super. I think I found most of the grease fittings but I can't find any fitting on the lower A-arm inner bearings. Should there be any? Are there any on the rear end? Happy for an answer, thank you.

Jan

A lot of the 40 Buicks had an early version of the "permenantly lubed" bushings on the inner lower A-frame. No grease fittings. When these bushings go bad, they are replaced with self-threading lube-type bushings. No grease fittings on the rear end. Be sure you find the lube fittings on either end of the clutch equalizer shaft.

The clutch equalizer shaft is connected to the clutch pedal with a connecting rod having the clutch adjuster assembly. The shaft is mounted on one end to the clutch housing and on the other end to the frame. On my car there is a grease fitting on each end. Buick recommended lubrication every 1600 km. I certainly would not let it go much beyond this and it won't hurt to lube more often.

Speaking of the clutch equalizer shaft, does anyone know how to take it apart? I have an NOS housing that I'd like to use on my restoration because the original is pretty beat up. But the original has ball joints on each end that I can't seem to remove. One end is held in with a snap ring, but even removing the snap ring doesn't allow it to be disassembled. And the other end doesn't have a snap ring at all. So how do I get this thing apart? Does anyone know? I don't want to cut it apart or use a press if there's something I'm missing...

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Guest Straight eight

Just be carefull, there is a spring in there that is pretty strong. Sounds like it may be broken which is why is doesn't come apart. tongue.gif

Matt:

I have mine out and apart. I'll be in my shop in the next day or so and could take a photo. Since I don't know how to post photos to this forum (and don't much care to learn), send me your email address and I'll send it to you directly. If yours is the same as mine, they pretty much come apart by themselves once you remove them from the car. If there is rust or crud in the ball socket seats then you might have to use heat and gentle persuasion to get things apart. The ball joints that attach to the frame and flywheel housing seat in split ball sockets that should slide into either end of the equalizer shaft. My car is a 40 but I don't think there is much difference from the 41's.