1964 Wildcat Front Self Adjusters

BamaWildcat

I am having a doozy with my front drum brakes in my Wildcat. Specificially, my front passenger side brake grabs before all the others do. I have thrown hundreds in new parts at the whole system, but it does not seem the self adjusters are right.

On my rear brakes, with the drums on, I can stick a brake spoon in, and only get the wheel to turn one way, the other way is locked with the actuator arm. On the fronts, I can spin it both ways. The only way to pull the actuator arm down to the star wheel is to pull the whole shoes/hardware assembly forward, and that puts the arm into the wheel, but once I put the drum on it resets itself.

With the drum on the shoes, shouldn't the front brakes auto adjuster not be able to be moves with a brake spoon just like the back unless I push the arm in from the back?

If I understand your problem, when you apply you brakes they pull to the right, had the same problem with my buick, although its older than yours the same fixes my apply. First I tried to adjust my pull out without luck the car would still pull to the left bad, so I got new wheel cyls and front hoses from NAPA installed them went on a road test now the car pulled hard to the right tried re adjusting the brakes without any luck. Gave up, the next night I pulled the front drums off and cleaned the shoes with brake clean and scuffed them up with some medium sandpaper this fixed my proplem now my car stops straight as an arrow, also discovered perfect adjustment wasn'tas necessary as I thought is was