1935 Buick Model 46 Coupe-Overdrive Transmission?

NTArrington

I just got a 1935 Model 46 Business coupe running. The car has two interior knobs, located under the center of the dash--one of which allows reverse to be engaged or disengaged and the other appears to enagage an overdrive unit between the tranny and rear end. I never have seen overdrive offered in a series 40 car. Could this unit be an overdrive? Both cables run to the unit. Can anybody shed any light? Thanks

It did not come from the factory with an overdrive, but numerous people have had them installed. If it is indeed an overdrive ,it will make the car much more comfortable to drive. You will not always be looking to see if you are in high gear ,as the engine RPM will be dramatically lower. The only caveat is to remember that your Buick will go better than it will stop!

I know that 1933 Buicks had the "Wizard Control" button on the driver's floor, but I am not familiar enough with the '35s to know if they had that. Wizard control was a vacuum-operated clutch & shifting mechanism that was not very successful, so Buick soon got rid of it, but it was set up much like you describe.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

• 19 years later...