1990 Reatta oil pressure dropped overnight

Guest subdude

Guest subdude

I changed oil in my reatta 500 miles ago . car has 70,000 miles on it. oil pressure was about 1 o'clock on gauge. Yesterday I noticed it was down below 9 o'clock on guage. Oil Pump ?????? The temp guage hasn't changed, it still runs straight up. Car has fresh oil in it and I did check it.

The first thing to do is check the actual pressure with a mechanical gauge installed in place of the sensor. The oil pressure senders do have a history of going bad and will usually peg out to the high side at random, but they can give a false reading in other ways. Hopefully it is just a bad sender.

Agree, first check the sender. I keep a spare just for the family cars. Have seen them read high, read low, and leak. Even the factory says when in doubt check with a mechanical guage.

Now if it really suddenly has 0-20 psi, let me tell you about the cam bearings I found in the bottom of a "C" oil pan...

Guest imported_barra

The CRT diagnostics sends a low oil message on start up but the oil pressure gauge shows proper pressure and the oil was just changed and has not leaked. I can live with the message center error.

And I drove over 1,000 miles home on 20 psi max and missing the center cam bearings after the dealer "up there" said the pressure was fine, the guage was rong. Mechanical guage at home said different. Never missed a beat and looked good when disassembled. However it was winter and have no idea how long it would have continued.

Have heard of one other 90 "C" engine that did the same thing and only 1990 models.

Guest subdude

I talked to a mechanic who said it was probably sludge in the sending unit and to change it first. $22 and that was the problem. Such an excellent engine!!!

Guest subdude

the one I took off was a metal case and the one I put on new was a plastic case. I got it at auto zone