Outside Door Handles for 1990 Reatta

flh77rat

This car is my son's daily driver, and both outside door handles are broken. If I don't get this thing fixed soon I will never see my truck again ( at least I can be nice enough to let him borrow the truck) I really only need drivers side (don't know if there is any difference) to get theis car on the road again. Local dealers and junk yards say parts are not available.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,

Bill C

Was a discussion on this recently but Jim may be able to help. There was a NAPA handle but think it did not have the switch for the courtesy lights. Having just gone through an exchange of locks on my replacement door can say that best figure on several hours for each: I had to

1) remove door panel

2) remove rear power window guide rail

3) drill out rivets for the "lock module" (about two and a half feet long)

4) remove lock module (careful all of the attached wiring)

- may be able to just drop down as far as possible and not remove entirely - this disenguages the rod with the yellow tip. Will have to remove the three torx screws on the door end cap.

5) Remove connector from handle assembly

6) Remove two nuts holding handle assembly on door.

7) Remove handle

Putting on the new one is a reverse of this process I would suggest using aluminum and not steel rivets to replace the lock module (really no way to use screws and nuts instead).

Once the lock module is loose you should be able to see the handle assembly. It opens the door by pushing down on the rod with the yellow tip until the lock opens. This rod is adjustable and if nothing is broken may be all you need.

Seems odd both sides would be inop. unless forced.

ps handles are specific to right and left side, slot for rod is on rear. It *might* be possible to put one side on the other by bending and extending the actuator rod but do not know if anyone has ever done this. Might have excessive cantilever force.