Ignition Module Burns out

Guest JPC

Guest imported_JPC

I know this is the buick site but I wonder if anyone has any ideas on this issue I'm have with my Chevy.

I have a stock 87 SS Monte for my wife that the electronic ignition module keeps burning up on. In the last 6 years its been replaced 8 times. Ive tried a new coil, new cap and rotor, new pick up coil, new wires, new ground straps from head to firewall and still no luck in getting this problem licked. Checked distributor for shorts or faulty ground as shown in shop manual but found no faults. Last time it happened I put in a new distributor and thought this cured the issue but it happened again last month. I know this is not an inherant problem with these car because I have the same ignition in my car and it still has the original Delco part installed. The Shop manual give diagnostics to check if it works but no mention of what to do if the module keeps going dead. Any ideas on what to check clean or fix would be helpful as I'm at a lose as to what to try next.

I would think you still have a bad ground situation, or some faulty connectors. What about the main wire harness connection between the engine compartment and the interior? Or the connectors on the computer box itself?

JD

• 1 month later...