HELP! Need disk breaks! 41' desoto

41desoto

Guest imported_Ricky Luke

Hi I suggest you post a message on www.p15-d24.com . Many people have done a similar thing, with a power boosted disk system. I dont have a list of US based suppliers, but there will be a lot of good help for you on that site if you go that way.

• 11 months later...
Guest FatDsoto

Get in touch with the guy at PlyDo. You can get his phone # with a web search. He has a complete disk brake conversion for stock spindles or you can buy dropped spindles from him also.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest De Soto Frank

I beg to differ about your statement: "but 100% unpredictable where brakes are concerned!!!"

When I acquired my '41 S-8 De Luxe sedan eight years ago, the brakes were in need of a complete rebuild (leaky wheel & master cylinders, rotted brake lines, etc).

I replaced all steel lines (made them myself, using the originals for patterns)and flex hoses, NOS wheels cylinders & master cylinder with brand new rubber inside, original drums turned, re-lined shoes up-front, and re-using the still-serviceable shoes in the rear. All bearing/axle seals were replaced front and rear.

I did "upgrade" to DOT-5 silicone brake fluid, and had a great deal of trouble with air-entrapment during the initial fill-up and bleeding; after that was resolved, the car has been driven nearly 30,000 miles, and except for the occasional service adjustment to compensate for wear of the linings, the brakes have been completely reliable, and quite predictable.

All that said, ANY 1941 car is not going to stop on a dime like modern vehicles, and must be driven taking this into account (allowing more following distance from the vehicle in front and being alert to surrounding conditions/activity, and anticipating potential issues which will require a sudden stop).

It is indeed possible to change these cars to disc brakes; other folks will have to supply the recommendations as to whose outfits to use.

I would also suggest that a poorly-engineered or poorly-fitted disc brake conversion can also prove "unsatisfactory".

I simply want to attest that the original drum braking system on MoPars of this period can work reliably and adequately.

If you do elect to switch to disks, you may also want to consider switching from the original 16" tires & rims to 15" (and possibly radials), so that you have better tire contact with the road. Having brakes that will lock-up the original 16" bias-plys more quickly does not exactly gain much in the stopping department.

I have nearly 100,000 miles cumulative driving history in 1940's MoPars over the last 20 years(this included much highway and city travel); all have kept their stock braking systems and have proved sufficient.

I had to learn about the limitations of the various vehicles in terms of tire performance and stopping distance, but as long as I kept within those boundaries, I was fine.

I will also attest that driving an older car in today's traffic does require the old-car driver to be especially alert and defensive, to counteract the driving habits of modern drivers. shocked.gif

Sorry to get on "the soap-box"... I guess I felt compelled to speak-up for the factory brakes. blush.gif

Good luck in finding a solution that's best for your situation !

cool.gif

• 11 months later...