Fluid Drive OR Torque Converter (LEAKING!!!)

Hey everyone,

I have a 1953 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe (model C-60, straight six flathead engine) with a bit of an oil leak. I dropped the pan and checked everything out, and the rear main bearing seal looks just fine; it's not leaking anywhere. But when I removed the bottom cover plate on the fluid drive/cluch housing, I was greeted by a sickening sight. The front half of the unit was completely dry, but the rear half was dripping with oil.

My first question is: which does my car have, a fluid drive or an engine-fed torque converter? I'm thinking it has the engine-fed torque converter, because my engine oil level keeps going down. I have a shop manual, but according to it, the C-60 Windsor could have either a fluid drive or a torque converter.

My second question is: how can I get the unit out of the car without pulling the whole engine/tranny. I would like to spend as little money as possible on this fix, and I don't have an engine hoist.

Any info would be a GREAT help.

Thanks,

Tom

The torque convertor is filled seperately,there are plugs in the body on the trans hump and on the bellhousing and the motor has to be turned over so the fill plug lines up and it does not get oil from the motor. The oil could also be comming from the front seal in the trans and you will have to remove the trans to repair it or the torque convertor,the trans has its own plugs for oil fill. The trans and torque convertor take 10 weight oil. Jeff

Guest imported_BaronvonR

Basically if the torque converter is leaking you do need to remove the transmission and fluid unit. Mine was leaking and I had to replace the seal..it has 7 parts to it. If you need I can look up the names and part numbers for you...once I did this to mine it has not leaked at all.

Jeff is correct in stating that the filler plug on the unit is accessed through the trans hump on the passenger side. There are two access plates...it is the one closer to the engine....you have to manually rotate it to the 12 o'clock position, to remove the plug...be VERY careful not to drop it...then rotate it to the 6 o'clock position to drain it, then back to 12 o'clock to refill. It takes about 8 quarts to fill. I would do this first to see where it is leaking and then proceed from there. IF the unit is not filled to the top, it will make the car feel like the clutch is slipping when you drive. If you do have to remove the unit I would consider replacing the clutch disc as well.

Hope this helps you.

BvR