Stationary (vent) window installation (and removal)

padgett

Now have replaced the vent window assembly in the new door and now understand the factory manual better.

The rear channel needs to be "loosened" (remove all four bolts) so that the window pane can shift back. The "stationary glass" has an L bracket at the bottom that must be removed for R&R. The forward window "up stop"(one bolt) needs to be removed so that the S.G. can move rearward far enoungh to insert the forward bracket into the door. The inside barrier strip (dew wipe) is removed to open enough of a channel for the frame to shift back to clear the forward bracket (would have been much simpler if that forward bracket were vertical and bolted from the side rather than the top).

Window needs to be all the way down to insert frame but is easily moved into the channel once in place.

Now the only complicated part left is to replace the lock cyl with the one for my key. Jim says it can be done without removing the lock module but frankly I do not see how.

The key for the lock on your door is in the mail.

I misunderstood when you asked about changing the cylinder. I was thinking you were asking about changing the whole mechanism. That is the way you should do it. There is a flat metal piece that slips in behind a couple of tabs on the lock mechanism. Slide this piece away from the lock and the whole unit will come out of the door. You can then put the whole lock assembly from your original door into the new door.

Jim

I just read the post about the '91 only door handles and there is a casting on the back of the '88-90 handles for a switch. The '91 handles do not have this casting. A while back I checked with a local auto parts store and they did stock the '91 handles but not for the '88-90s.

Padgett, I did forget about the switch on the rear of the lock. There is a "C" type keeper that can be removed and the switch on the rear will come off the lock mechanism. I don't remember exactly if the wires from this switch have their own connector, or if one of the wires loops to another switch in that area.