Pulling an Airstream with a 54 Special

Guest bjr

Guest imported_bjr

I have been looking for a 25 foot Airstream and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on pulling it with my 54 Special convert. Will the dynaflow take the added stress of the trailer? Has anyone out there ever done this with a Buick? Thanks Brian

Guest my3buicks

There are a few people on here that will be able to help you, "Old Guy" for one should have some knowledge on this. Sounds like a lot of trailer for a Special though.

Brian, one of the members of our North Cascade Chapter pulled a 1959 Airstream to Flint to the Buick Centennial two years ago. He returned to the Seattle area via Route 66, so would have traveled in excess of 6,000 miles. The '57 Buick Caballero retained its original Dynaflow transmission, although the car had been converted to disc brakes and an improved radiator had been installed. His only problem experienced on the trip was failure of one of the Wheel Vintiques Skylark-style wire wheels. If you would like to contact the owner of the Buick directly, in order to gain some input regarding his preparations for the trip, please send me an e-mail at laurance@integrity.com.

57%20&%20Airstream%202.jpg

Interestingly, if you look at old photos from some of the books on Airstream trailers, you will see many examples of 1950's-era Buicks pulling the trailers.

By the way, one of the folks in my Buick Club chapter is now restoring Airstream and other vintage travel trailers for resale. He has located a small, 1958 Airstream that he expects to acquire as his next restoration project.

I would think a bigger problem would be whether the brakes, radiator, steering and suspension could handle such a large trailer. Not to mention the engine.....

That is a LOT of weight to hang behind a 51-year-old car. Are you going to use a class III hitch, with an electric brake controller? If so, how do you plan to go from a 6-volt electrical system to a controller that works on 12 volts?

Been there, done that. Hauled a 24-foot travel trailer behind my '65 and later a '66 Buick for a while. It demands 100% Situation Awareness at ALL times, with a VERY high Pucker Factor.

Joe

Guest my3buicks

I think the size of your trailer is the potential problem, you will notice the trailer behind the 57 isn't near a 24 footer and the brakes, suspension, cooling system aside, the Special doesn't have the horses under it's belt that the Century and larger series have.

I must agree with you regarding the size of the trailer, Keith, and, if I were committed to towing a travel trailer, I would look for the smallest, lightest style available that still maintained a vintage appearance. Airstream built styles that were even smaller than the one pictured behind the '57. I think the smallest model was referred to as the "Bambi"(?).

You have to check the gross vehicle weight rating for your car. The owners manual should have the rating of what your car can tow. It is surprising how low some of the ratings can be when you see what some people tow behind their vehicles. Most poeple exceed the rating. If it is a short distance your car will probably survive due to the "fudge factor" the car makers build into the rating. But if you plan on a long haul, I would stay within the ratings. Keith said it best that the 24 trailer is probably too much trailer for your car - I would think you need a truck for that size of trailer. For vintage looks and light weight, try a Scamp trailer. I have a 13 footer. They also make a 16 footer and 19 foot with 5th wheel type hitch. My 13 footer only weighs 960 pounds and has a tounge weight of 85 pounds. Add in a few accessories and some camping gear and the weight is about 1300 pounds. My rendezvous is rated for 1750 pounds of towing so it works well even without trailer brakes or tranny cooler. The 16 footer requires the trailer brakes.

Go to this link under the "me and my Buick " portion of this bulletin board to see a pic of my Scamp. Click on the word attachment to see the picture.

http://www.aaca.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=267160&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Here is a link to the Scamp website: http://www.scamptrailers.com/

good luck!

welcome to the world of vintage Airstream.

Ebay, has about 20 for sale every day.

I am pulling a 26 foot Overlander 1957 with my 1958 Cadillac.

You need the Weight to horse power ratio:

The rated weight of your trailer + the weight of the car divide by the car rated horse power.

So,

my trailer: (3800 lbs.+5,500 lbs.)/325hp = 28.6 lbs per hp.

20 lbs/hp to 30 lbs/hp . = hot rod.

30 lbs/hp to 40 lbs/hp = normal performance.

50 lbs/hp to 60 lbs/hp = high end over load. Danager on wet roads.

This is all out of my 1964 Airstream manual.

The hoot is these cars pulled them in the 50's.

This web link will help you out:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/FAQ/FAQ_index.html

I agree with the other members of this forum. I pulled a 1954 17 foot Airstream all over the country with my 57 Caballero. The only upgrades to the car were a trans cooler,radial tires ,halogen headlights, and air shocks' I did have a class 3 hitch and reciever with the load bars. I never experienced any trouble, but that extra 7 feet is just a "little" scary. I also pulled a 1935 "Covered Wagon" to California with a 32 model 97, but that was back in 1976, and I don't think i would attempt it now, as the traffic is much worse, and noone seems to have any patience anymore!

once again i am requied to read my own posts.. what a world.

Note on brakes, the car brakes stop the car, and the trailer brakes stop the trailer.

Guest imported_MrEarl

This fella apparently had no problem pulling this little camper with his Roadmaster. However, he did have the added advantage of 50 more horsepower(200) than the Special for pulling and wider grooved brake shoes for stopping.

54Rdmstrandcamper.jpg

Keith, my Rendezvous only has the GM factory style tow hitch, but doesn't have the tranny cooler or rear air shocks. Since it was a dealer demo vehicle, I think the dealer installed the hitch themselves and used it for light towing (I hope). I wish it had the tranny cooler, and may yet have one installed. I want to compare your Rendezvous to mine to see the differences. Maybe mine has the cooler and I am not recognizing it!

Guest imported_bjr

The 54 Special is already 12 volt so the brake controller is not a problem. I may convert it to an alternator though. I have a set of finned aluminum front brake drums from a newer Buick I was going to adapt to fit on the 54. I will also use an equalizer hitch so tongue weight should not be a problem. I have a 4bbl manifold and carb I will be installing on the engine also, I don't know if it will help much though. I live in Wisconsin and will not be towing in the mountains. I can also put another trans cooler on either in series with the stock one or by it's self. Thanks for all the input so far, and please keep the comments coming. If the concenses is this will not work, I can always pull it with my 49 Buick sedanette street rod with a 472 Cad engine in it. Brian