54 Super accessories

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I have in the past 2 months seen two 1954 Supers with front fender ornaments. I was never aware that 54's even came with these. I asssumed the first one was maybe added on but now i have seen another, the car is evidently original so I believer thery were either an option or were standard on maybe the early year or late year models. Does anyone know more about this. Has anyone ever seen one on a 54 Roadmaster. I believe the 55 Roadmaster had them?? Also notice the rear fender antenna on the lower photo.

54redwfenderornaments.jpg

54rustywfenderornaments.jpg

54rustywrearantenna.jpg

Im not sure but I beleive they are 55 Buick hood ornaments. The 55 Century I restored came with them on the fenders, mud flaps, curb feelers, a CHEAP continental kit, chrome rockers and a bermuda bell. No coon tail on the antenna though.

Guest my3buicks

Dealers may have stuck them on when the 55's came out to help update the 54's to get rid of any leftovers - I see the one pictured have the wire wheel covers on, didn't realize that carried over to 54 from 53

Guest imported_MrEarl

Bob,

I bet that was one spiffy 55. So you think someone added 55 hood ornaments to the front fenders to go along with all the other stuff you mentioned. I have seen other 55's with what appeared to be smaller versions of the hood ornament. Maybe not. I have also seen them on 53 and 56's. See attacchend. Come on you 55 and 56 owners, let us in on what the story is with these.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Keith,

I'm sure some dealers probably "offered" the left over 53 wire caps as an alternative to the costly real wires that came out that year, but no they aren't considered original and correct to that year. I do want to learn more about the fender bombsights though as to whether they were available special order from factory (which I have not been able to find in any accessory list for 54) just happened to get added at the factory every once in a while, were aftermarket Buick dealer add ons or merely a Western Auto/JC Whitney type of ornament.I'd be interested also to know if this type of period correct item would be a deduct in judging. I've seen them on some very nice show cars of that period. ie 55-56.

Guest my3buicks

As far as judging a non-authentic Buick accessory would be subject to a deduction, If I had a set of those on, I sure would want to have some sort of factory documentation such as an accessory brochure that showed them. The burden of proof falls on the owner, so if a judge asks, the owner needs to be able to document.

The wire wheels first came out in 53 but where made more available across the board for 54

Guest imported_Thriller

Well, it is kind of skirting the years being discussed, but neither my '52 Roadmaster nor my '56 Special have front fender ornamentation. Interestingly, the '52 does have some '51 looking trim on the rear fenders - not sure if someone added them on, if maybe it was an early '52 (again with the concept of using leftovers) or what.

The 56 Roadmaster did have a fender ornament. It had a similar base to those in the phote of that red 54, and a circle attached towards the front of the base. Then a small gold ball on top of a post coming up from the horizontal base, and the bottom of the circle so the ball was centered in the circle.

I can't tell from the red 54 you originally posted if that is what is on that car. It's just too far away.

As to the 53 picture you posted, that fender ornament sort of looks like an aftermarket ornament, based on the hood ornament on a 49, although a bit

smaller in the center spear. Don't know if the 53 ever had a factory fender ornament and have never seen one to date.

JD