screws for fuel pump

WillBilly53

i'm rebuilding the fuel pump and getting ready to put the covers on, but <gasp!> i can't find the screws! <P>anybody know where i might find some aftermarket screws for it? it's a dual action ac.<P>also does anyone know how to remove the pin on the diaphragm so i can replace the rubber part? in the shop manual it says to "file down" or "machine" off the peening. i did that with my dremel tool but it still won't come apart.<P>any suggestions.<P>thanks!<P>-will e.<p>[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: willbilly53 ]

I suspect the screws to hold the two case halves together might be normal 1/4-20 thread bolts. You might even chase down some some Allen head bolts for an incognito trick look, if you desire, as some replacement bolts have differing size hex heads for the same thread size. Be sure to get some narrow flat washers or lock washers to put under the bolt heads (if you lost them too).<P>Can you punch the pivot pin for the pump arm out and remove it that way or would that help?<P>I suspect that whatever metal peening you remove will have to be "repeened" when the new diaphram is installed, unless they have some other method of secure attachment.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

Hey NTX____, Are the fuel pumps for 1956<BR>Buicks that ame way as stated in the last <BR>post? I was planning on rebuilding my pump<BR>as I blew the diaphram but if I have to grind<BR>off pins and re-peen them then I won't.<BR>I'm not the handiest man with little tools<BR>(no comments guys) on mechanical work so<BR>maybe it would be better if I sent it off to<BR>be rebuilt? Your thoughts please. Thanks

thanks NTX,<BR>i think i might go with the allens and lock washers. that indeed might look kind of cool. i found a couple of the screws and i'll double check the size.<P>i got the pin out to remove the rocker arm just fine, it's the shaft on one of the diaphrams that i'm having a problem with. the rebuild instructions tell me to machine, file or cut off the peening in order to replace the rubber part. (does that make sense?) also is there a special tool for peening?<P>thanks,<P>will