What protectant for older padded dash boards do you recommend?

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

I am wondering what product the folks here use on their padded dash panels on their older (1970s-older) cars? I have not yet put anything on the dash of my 73' Pontiac, or 69' Chevrolet- which still have perfect dash pads, so I do not want to make the mistake of putting anything on there that will damage them. I have heard that armorall will "dry" them out and make them crack. I have used "pledge" orange spray in the past on my newer cars and it worked fine, but seemed to collect dust fairly quick.

So, is there any special product for older dash panels? Would I be better off putting nothing on them?

Thanks in advance.

I mix orange or lemon oil in with Murpchy's oil soap and dilute with distilled water about 35 per cent water. Shake real good. The key to hydrate the pad and the oil will soak in. I agree using too much oil causing dust collection. Water is a gentle & natural solvent while the Murphy's is just vegetable oil (mid-shine) while the lemon/orange oil is a more penetrating oil. The combination leaves a nice sheen to the dash. When it looks dry again, recondition then.

Good luck

Bryan Moran

crazy4abby

BCA 28571

1949 Roadmaster 2 door

1968 Riviera

Guest John Chapman

Shaffer,

You're correct in not putting Armorall on your dash... or anything else made of plastic or rubber that you want to last. Armorall works by breaking down the surface layer of polymers in the material, allowing the 'free floating' polymers and water in the solution to temporarily improve the appearance. Once broken, the original polymers never re-bond and long term deterioration is accelerated.

Adding oil of any kind (orange, mineral, or vegetable) will also damage the material in the long term.

The best solution that I've found is to (1) clean the surface well with a vinyl cleaner (Meguiar's #39 --for really dirty places or #40 --can be used for moderate cleaning and follow-on treatment after using #39; (2) coat with 303 UV Protectorant. 303 is usually available at boating supply stores or camping suppliers like REI or SportMart.

Cheers,

JMC

Guest my3buicks

I have used armorall type products ever since they came out 30 some years ago. My 67 has had a constant menu of it for 27 years and I don't think you will find a finer original interior, dash anywhere. The dash is as new and still very soft and supple. The vinyl seats are also like new. I have found with liberal and constant use it has even brought back rubber that was really looking bad on other cars I have bought and owned. Even on my daily drivers I use it regularly and always have perfect interiors and trim when I get rid of them. I know there are probaly 1000 "tests" to say otherwise, but I think the test of everyday and YEARS will keep me using it. Been detailing cars for a long time, will keep using the armorall. I like the Meguairs products best.

I would get one of the carpet-type dash covers available from after-market suppliers. I don't think there is anything that comes in a bottle that will protect a dash the way that a sun-proof fabric cover will. Most of the older plastic dashboards on cars in this part of the world are in pretty poor shape from the heat and the sun. I have seen a few that were covered by those dash "rugs" that are not cracked or faded. Otherwise, they are pretty rough.

Guest Straight eight

Ditto on the 303 Products. Nothing finer, works great on rubber weather strip and tires too. smile.gif

Last time I did my Camaro interior which has lots of leather, vinyl and plastic, I used Turtle Wax leather cleaner/conditioner for everything. It has UV protectant in it. Everything looks nice. The only oil in it, I believe, is coco butter. Don't know if that'll hurt anything!? It was very convenient to use one product for everything, since there are 3 different kinds of surfaces.

Guest bkazmer

the original Armorall is basically a suspension of plasticizer( I think phthalate-type) in water. It doesn't "break down" any polymers (most dash skins were PVC) and float them around, it just put a layer of loose plasticizer on the surface. That's why it was shiny and fogged your windshield.

Been using the Lexol vinyl cleaner and also vinyl protector on the dash and other parts for about 15 years. No cracks or other problems. Would definitely recommend.

But, thanks for the 303 testimonials, had not heard of them, and think I'll check out their products.

Guest GRANNYS 70 SKYLARK

Count me as another 303 advocate. Been using it for years and it worked really well on my boat's vinyl parts.

• 11 months later...
Guest Shaffer

Thanks for all of the replies. Sorry it has been nearly one year since I have been able to reply to this, but I had actually forgotten about it. Anyway, the other day, I FINALLY got some "303 protectant" from an Ace Hardware store in the city to our southwest. The local RV/boat shops had it, but they had to order it. Come to find out- a shop about a mile from here had it.

Anyway- I put it on the interior of my 73' Pontiac and now it gleams. I do not think the dash has had anything on it for years. It really soaked it up at first, but I think after a few more applications, it will be like new again. It really worked wonders on the door panels too.

Here is a photo of my instrument panel and as you can see, it is still in good shape, but was in dire need of protectant. I will post a photo later of how well the "303" did. It also made the interior on my 1985 Mercedes gleam as well. I cannot wait to put it on my Caprice's interior.

This photo of my Grand Ville was taken in December of 2004- shortly after I bought it. I put some of the door panels too, because you will not believe the difference on them either. Photos of them with the 303 to follow later this week.....

SORRY for these LOW quality photos. These were taken with my old camera and the interior looks discolored in places, but it is not.

IMG00026.jpg

IMG00034.jpg

IMG00033.jpg

IMG00028.jpg