re: sad sight and request for some advise

Serge

hello,

The Reatta I stumbled upon yesterday at the junk yard is an 88 that was impounded, it never crashed. It's sad because it's been through slash and burn artists. I got the touch screen and some dash components. Got a pic of the VIN.

request for advise: the yard wants $500 for the engine and tranny

is it worth it ?

I've got 7 pics that will be posted soon. Be on the look out.

the car could have had a nice home....alas

later

Serge

Guest Greg Ross

$500. for an engine and tranny is probably about average and the yard would normally offer at least a 30 day guarantee at that price. I assume you don't need the replacement and would have no benifit from any provided guarantee. Remember, they guarantee the item not the cost of R & R. (unless you can do it yourself, that is)

If the previous owner let the car go for the price of a tow and a parking ticket I would assume that thay did the same level of maintenance ie; ZILCH.

Stay away from it would be my attitude.

Have to say that if was looking in a yard for a "C" engine and trans, I'd go for one from a 91 Bonneville or other GM that had not gone to the "E" trans yet. Every year GM added fixes that improved reliability. On the 88 specifically the trans has different splines on the half-shafts than later and the 89-up had an improved timing chain guide system.

If curious, look at the TSBs for each year to see all of the "improvements" GM slipstreamed in.

OTOH $500 is pretty cheap particularly if they let you pull it and things are rust-free. Couple of years ago I needed a 3800 after my wife's car dropped the two center cam bearings (ran over 1000 miles from Indiana to Florida on 19 psi after local dealer said it was the guage). Best price was having one drop shipped from Crystal River, FL. $450 for a "complete" engine from a 90 Bonneville with 36,000 miles.

When received (had to pre-pay) it was a good thing that I just needed a good short block because nearly everything up top that was not missing (like the MAF sensor) was broken (coilpack, knock sensor, etc.). They even managed break the water return pipe under the throttle body and bend the exhaust manifold (not obvious until fired up and it leaked badly). They never responded to any communications.

So make sure of what you are getting before you pay for it.

• 2 weeks later...