Paint Woes :(

Here as of lately I visited my local paint shop to see if they could mix me paint for my 1950 buick special wiht #24 paint (cloudmist gray) but as they started to look it up they told me that buick had no such color during 1950. At that moment i remembered that some things for buick is interchangable so i told the guy to look the paint # up in year 1951 and sure enough it was there. <BR>Can anyone give me a good reason for this? Will I be deducted points from judging?<BR>Will cloudmist attract more heat than a blue?<BR>thanks.

Guest Mr. Solutions

Just one question...<P>You mentioned that you want to get the car colour right for judging..., yet you painted some of the engine parts a non-standard colour...

It's all part of the learning curve. Not like he can't go back and correct those parts if he wants as they're easily removable. It tickles me to know of an 18 year old who's got the gumption to tackle a car like this. Most all of 'em around here are into imports, though a couple have early Camaros and one has a 63 Impala Sport Sedan <BR><B>that amazingly hasn't been low-ridered</B> and probably won't be. It's bone stock except for a set of 1963 SS wheel covers, which IMHO set the car off nicely.<P>What is the original paint code? Even most marque clubs don't get too hung up on an incorrect color as long as the color was offered for that year.<P>Rule of thumb- the darker the color, the more heat it will retain. Lighter colors reflect sunlight and will be a few degrees cooler inside the car. Maybe you could go two tone and paint the roof white or a coordinating lighter color?<P>As far as why? Just one of those things the car companies did. They were always intoducing new colors and deleting others during model years. One year (1962)Oldsmobile changed the reds three times!

Johan de Bruin, not too be rude with you but i painted the engine the way i did because of the information that i had in which said it can be those two colors. Another thing is the only reason i'm asking about the exterior paint for the car is because Bill told me a while back the color of #24 is cloudmist gray. Well when i looked that color up here lately the color is for 1951 not 1950. I was only concerned.<P>rocketraider 18 yr olds an't nothing. Its just hard to find younger ppl who wants to fool with older cars below era 1960 if that.<BR>like you said most are fooling around with hondas and other cars. My father started off when he was 12 yrs old and that kinda hard to believe. My earlyiest memory is being in a 1932 roadster convertable at age of 3. THATS WILD.<BR>PEACE OUT. CHRIS~

Hi Chris,<BR>Just took a look through the colors I have for 1950 and "Cloudmist Grey" was offered that year.<BR>Pretty Dark though but so is the dark blue.<BR>It will retain some heat.<BR>I think its great that you are restoring this car. Let us know how else we can help.