Help needed identifying *early* Oldsmobile

Brassbus

Olds guys-

I'm doing some research on a car that was found at the bottom a local Lake last year. It went through the ice on this very day in 1937, and according to the 1937 newspaper article, the male driver drowned, and the female passenger managed to escape. The diver who found the car said it was a four cylinder Oldsmobile (he has a photo of the distributor cap, the hub cap, and the radiator cap). I wanted to narrow down the date of the car for him. My research found that Oldsmobile produced a model 43A four from 1921 to 1923, and then started the six model 30 that same year. The radiator cap photo shows the winged spur with three acorns (I thought that was later than 1923). The hub cap shows "Oldsmobile" within an oval outline. Would these things narrow it down more? I thought that I should check with the experts before I gave wrong information. It's stories like this that make the hobby fun for me. I'd appreciate any help.

Hi Peter-

I don't have any way to transfer the photos, sorry. The shell emblem and hub cap design point to 1928, so I'm wondering if the diver didn't pay much attention to the engine details when he was down there. I don't think he is an antique car guy. Maybe he identified the car as a four cylinder from the blurry photos after he got back to dry land! I can't really be sure by looking at the photos either. I'll have to get clarification on that.