Tri-Shield emblems - '62 Skylark

Bluesky62

I'd like to know what you folks do about "brightening up" the tri-shield emblems on your cars (on the hubcaps and on the ones behind the rear windows). Do you try to "touch them up" (and, if so, what colors of paint should I look for) or is there a place where replacements can be found?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest COMPACTBC

Hi BlueSky62: Please fill in the balance of your BIO for your user name so I know who and where you are. confused.gif What I have used is Testers Model paint, available in model toy stores. It's not perfect, but better than nothing. tongue.gif Finding NOS wheelcover centers is difficult, but keep looking at Buick swap meets or post your needs on the "buy/sell" part of this forum. smile.gif

Bruce, thank you! I was beginning to think that I had asked some kind of a no-no question, because I hadn't received one reply! I'll go get some Testors and then I think I'll ask my wife to do the application (her hands are quite a bit steadier than mine). And, yes, I'll go look for the "bio" section and get it filled in right now.

I used nail polish on my 56 hubcap centers. My honey had tons of red polishes, in virtually every shade possible. I found a very close match, painted it on from the back and it has lasted close to 12 years now.

Also keep in mind that there is nail polish remover which is labeled "non-acetone". It works and leaves plastic alone. Of course I would try to find a spare one to practice enything on before spicing up the one I planned to use.

I recall one time trying to clean up the contacts on a power window switch from an 84 Chevy celebrity. Got some electrical cleaner and sprayed into what appeard to be vent holes. The unit itself appeared sealed. At least till I sprayed that stuff, then the plastic disintegrated right in my hands... wasn't sealed no more. A new switch later I learned my lesson. tongue.gif

JD

Hahaha! I suppose each of us has melted/disintegrated something at one time or other! Yes, I am proceeding very slowly in restoring my Skylark - I am trying to slow down, think it through, try to anticipate all the things that can go wrong BEFORE doing something stupid. I'm moving in new territory here, JD, because I'm more used to buzzing along a little more fearlessly than I am right now. I keep thinking, "Man, if I screw this up, I might have a heckuva time getting a replacement (to say nothing of the cost!). I can't imagine what it must be like to own one of the REALLY old Buicks - I'd be a nervous wreck!

Dave P.

I must try that on my Cadillac wheelcover emblems. Great Idea. Bluesky- I also used testors silver paint to trim my dashpanel on my 70 Electra. With a toothpick, I re-lettered "BUICK" on the steering wheel. Again, not perfect, but it is legible now.

The older the car, the less parts. The less parts, the less that can go wrong, unless you have one of the 23' buicks with the sideways H shift pattern. I bet most people have a problem with that today and I wouldn't want to be looking for those parts.

shocked.gif

JD

With a toothpick, you say? Again, sounds like a job for my sure-fingered wife! And the older the car, the less there was to go wrong? Hmmm.... I guess I'd never thought about it that way before. Sounds kind of like Life in general, doesn't it? EVERYTHING was simpler "back then"!

Ben Franklin carries an acrylic paint Pactra might be the brand name? that is available in a large array of colors. If you are dealing with color showing through a clear lens, it works well painted on the reverse. I believe that the chemicals on the acrylic might be a little less rough on the clear plastic than some of the Testors. Testors is made for polystyrene models but who knows what some of the plastics on the older cars were made out of.

There is also a stained glass spray paint--used to make clear glass look like stained glass-- available at Ben Franklins that can work very well at re-applying the irridescent finishes that were sometimes used on painted over chromed surfaces--provided you can arrange the part to be sprayable.

Model car paint brushes trimmed way down in both length and width of bristles can also work well on painting small detailed ornaments.