Backup Lamps

Guest Mr. Solutions

Guest Mr. Solutions

Hi<P>I understand that the Model 41D series came with optional factory fitted backup lamps. I've noticed several e-bay auctions for backup light switches for the Dynaflow...<P>Nowhere have I seen backup lights though... What was used for the backup lights? Where did they fit, Ideas on where to get some. How easy is it to fit them?<P>Thanks

Johan, the back up lamps in Supers and Roadmasters are located in the base of the rear bumperettes. I assume the bumperettes you have didn't in this style. The same lens are used in both the front parking lamps and rear back up lamps.

Guest Mr. Solutions

Elmwood<P>Sorry if I caused confusion, but the models 41D and 4369D are the one and same. The difference is that the 4369D was exclusively produced in Canada.<P>The 41D / 4369D is listed as a Buick Special Deluxe Sedan, so they unfortunately have nothing in common with the Super and Roadmaster models.<P>I have nothing on my bumpers; basically straight curved, if you get my meaning. So where would they have attached?<P>Thanks<p>[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Johan de Bruin ]

If its like my 50 Special, they have big round bumper guards hanging off the bumpers. <P>Into these round chrome pieces the backup lights will go.<P>I am kinda suprised you at least dont have the bumperettes on your bumpers. I thought all the cars had them. Maybe because it was from Canada ?

Many GM cars thru the early 50s had "beehive" style backup lamps that mounted on the trunk valance panel, between the decklid and the bumper splash pan. I've seen these on Cadillac, Pontiac and Chevrolet. I know that Olds liked to incorporate them into the taillight assembly and as Elwood states about Buick, they put them in the rear bumper guards. I believe I have seen early 50s Specials with the guards and lamps.<P>It's possible that the Canadian built car used the beehives, or that the backup lamps were part of a package that included the bumper guards.

I checked a brochure showing the 1951 Canadian Buick models and the back up lamps of the Special are shown in the rear bumperettes (The vertical guards on each side of the licence plate with the connecting bar across the top). These pieces of the bumper must be different for cars without the lamps and specifically for cars equipped with backup lamps.

Guest Mr. Solutions

Hi Guys<P>Thanks for all your replies...<P>So, as I now understand it, I need a special bumper with bumperettes, something mine most certainly does not have... As I am not redoing my car for shows and competitions, would it be acceptable to put beehives one as decribed? <P>It may also appear from the comments from Bill / Elmwood / Tony that there was a POSSIBLE change in the design of the bumper, as a '50 has bumperettes, and a '52 doesn't. Can anybody confirm this for certain? (Elmwood: can you e-mail me a scan of what you have?)<P>For the record, does anybody know if one can still get the bumper specifically made for the backup lamps, or get them anywhere, as I have never seen them? Does anybody have any ideas about interchangeability with other vehicles like an Olds or something?<P>Thanks again for your invaluable input!<p>[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: Johan de Bruin ]

If the "beehive" style lamps have a GM part number, I don't think there's a problem using them. They were probably a dealer installed item specifically made for cars that didn't have them factory installed and whose owners wanted the lamps, but not the expense of changing taillight assemblies, bumpers etc.<P>You may find a set NOS, or on a junked car. They seem to hold up well as they have glass lenses and even include a rubber gasket between the bezel and the car body.

• 1 month later...

If you check closely you may also find that your wiring harness has the extra wires int it. On mine I only had to pull out the two ends at the front to provide power to the switch and to feed the power to the rear of the car. At the back I just had to run the wires from the lamps back to the harness inside the trunk. The proper wire was right there, folded back over the harness and taped in place.<BR>Happy hobbying

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I had a '51 Special with the factory backup lamps. They were seperate units, mounted externaly on the

sheet metal below the trunk, and above the bumper. They were surface mounted. I believe the

Super's and Roadmaster's b/u lamps were built into the bumper guards, and also may have been standard equipment.

If they were an option on the Specials, surface mounting them would make sense.

Scott Mich BCA # 6619