Engine color question

While shopping for suppliers of Buick green engine paint, I discovered a listing for Buick turquoise engine paint. I am now unsure of what is the correct color for the 401 in my 1963 Riviera. Is it green or turquoise? Thanks in advance.<P>Michael S.

I looked at a 63 Riviera a couple years ago and took photos of it when I was seriously considering buying it.<P>I questioned the correct color of the engine myself.<P>This engine had silver painted valve covers. The photos do not show the rest of the engine very well. The air cleaner is red with the Riviera script closest to the firewall and Wildcat 445 towards the front of the car.

My 63 401 Riv engine is silver as well. It has never been pulled and is #s matching. I am not sure how widely it was used, but I know it was common in the 63 Riv for both the 401 and 425. I am sure somone from the ROA has the details.<p>[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: Steve B ]

Thanks guys,<P>Wow, silver! I had no idea that was a possibility. My engine is not a good guide. I have no idea if it has been swapped. It is part green and part Ford blue!! shocked.gif" border="0 <BR>Michael S.

I just found my dealer info sheet,dated 1-25-63. It states 4400 & 4800 engs are blue.4600 -401 is blue,4600 425 is silver.All 4700 engines are silver.All silver engines had red crinkle paint air cleaners.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure about your car, but I have a 65 Electra with a 401 and it's color is "Buick Green". I obtained some spray cans from Year One and the color matched perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a situation where having correct information is important. Even the same size engine could be painted differently with differently colored accessory items (air cleaner, valve covers, etc.) depending on which body of car it was installed in and even what production year, obviously.<P>This is where the sales/service literature will come in extremely handy as will the BCA Judging Manual. There's some great information in that one documnent!<P>Know what you are buying as it was proven several years ago that even established and respected paint vendors can make mistakes on what engine color goes where and when. Sometimes things are more tricky than they might be expected to be. I believe that Norb has the correct information in this case with the BCA Judging Manual also figuring into the deal too.<P>Does anyone still make the red krinkle paint? I know it's still available in black.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467