Engine Removal ?????

Greetings from a NEWBIE rolleyes.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>I am looking for books or shop manuals for 1970 Rivvvvvvvvvvvvvvs. <BR>Question? do I pull the engine out and leave the trans in or pull engine & trans out complete.<P><BR>Your help would be appreciated.<P>Gord<P><BR>1970 Buick Riviera<BR>1970 Buick Riviera (parts)<BR>1973 Cougar XR7<BR>1998 Chev Astro Van

Typically, everyone pulled just the engine by itself and left the trans supported by a floor jack or other suitable fixture. Sometimes, you can stick some long bolts through the trans bellhousing bolt holes and use a piece of straight metal to span the space between the frame rails with as the bolts lay on it.<P>You can purchase a winch attachment for your engine hoist that will let you pull the trans/engine combination. It tilts the engine front upward to let the trans clear what it need to clear as the whole thing comes out. I believe that TransDapt sells that stuff. Don't forget to take the rear trans mount and maybe the transmission crossmember loose or removed before doing it this way. <P>It's really works pretty slick to do it this way as you don't have to worry about hooking up the converter to flywheel bolts from under the car. But you'll have to take them out anyway to separate the trans from the engine, just a matter or where you do it and how comfortable it is.<P>Be sure to mark the hood hinge bolts and such so you can get it put back in the same place. You might need a hoist for the hood by itself too.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

The hoist attachment is called an engine leveler. They're available from Eastwood, Harbor Freight, Discount Auto, Pep Boys, etc. and worth the money (I finally got one, and love it)<BR>I prefer to pull the engine and trans together, only because it's easier to disconnect the trans mount and linkage than try to get the bell housing bolts off between the engine and firewall. You also don't have to worry about dumping fluid out the torque converter.<BR>Be sure to keep the transmission yoke in the back of the trans, or the fluid will leak out the end. You can buy plugs from the local trans shop or driveshaft shop.<BR>If you've never done this before, be sure to protect the radiator with a piece of plywood or cardboard. You also may have to pull the distributor, or at least take off the car (sometimes they hit the firewall).<BR>Remember that the trans also has lines going up to the radiator, and they'll need to be disconnected. Go to Sears and get a set of Line Wrenches (or "Flare Nut" wrenches). They're less than $20, and will keep you from stripping the fuel and trans line fittings.<BR>Good luck!<BR>-Brad