Need help! coolant in oil on a fresh rebiuld?

Well I just finished my 72 GS 350 and the car runs great. Better then I expected. I notice the oil was white after my first drive. I change the oil and now it's getting milky again and the coolant level has dropped. Where do I start to look for this leak. I am very pissed. Any help would be great Thanks Frank

Guest Howard Purvis

Frank,<BR>What you are describing is a coolant leak into the oil system. Assuming there are no cracks in the head, the likely source is a leaking head gasket.

How would a shop check or find the leak? I'm done messing with it and will have to have a shop fix it if I can't figure it out. So close but so far away. I knew this project went to smooth. The front seal started leaking probally because the oil level is so high, and I can see little spots of green in what has dripped out. Damn it And this thing was running really well.

Another possibility is the intake gasket. When the intake manifold was set in place it could have damaged the intake gasket and the coolant can leak into the lifter valley and on into the oilpan. The way to locate the leak is to pressure test the cooling system and see if the pressure gauge drops. If it does, and there are no visible external leaks, the leak is inside the engine.

Key thing here is to shut the hood for a while and walk away and go do something else. I suspect the "frenzy" level is still a little high, which can undermine things somewhat. Naturally, your own personal "oil pressure" is still a little high--and understandably so.<P>Many of the things you did NOT mention would indicate cracked heads or blocks. In any event, gasket issues would be the cheapest and easiest things to fix. The intake manifold gasket would be the first thing to come off anyway so that could dictate the place to start. Many of those gaskets have markings on them ("front", "top", etc.) that could be easily overlooked. <P>You know you've got an unpleasant task ahead of you, or at least one that you didn't expect or want. You're also not the first one that's had something like this happen to them. If you approach this affair as a "learning experience" instead of an unpleasant task, it will be better. Most every mechanic has some "war stories" of indiscretions they made some where at some time that were not funny at the time, but were later.<P>Or you can continue "beating yourself up" and open your checkbook at the repair shop. Paying them to do something you could have done.<P>The choice just depends on where your "head's at".<P>Just some thoughts . . .<BR>NTX5467

If there is no indication that it was the intake after you pull it off. You may want to get the heads pressure checked if you haven't before. I always like to apply a small bead of RTV sealer on both side of the 4 water passages on the intake gasket. But don't over do it. Look at it this way, at least it isn't is some cluttered up FWD car!

Geno, one thing I like to do with intake manifold gaskets is to get some high temp silicone, lay the individual gaskets on a flat surface, spread the silicone so that it lays in the embossed grooves in the gasket, smooth it out with a gasket scraper, and let it tack off before putting a thin coat of silicone on the other side too.<P>The thin silicone coating on each side will make it easier to clean up later if you have to pull things apart. The resultant bead of silicone in the embossed grooves will serve to make the older style gasket into the "Print-O-Seal" gasket that seals much better.<P>Your comments about using discretion in how much silicone sealer is used is accurate. Pressure and gasket compression are the main modes of sealing, the silicone is there for added durability and longevity of the seal. If you think of that bead of silicone doing the same thing as PlastiGage (when you check bearing clearances with it), it becomes clear that big blobs are not needed.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

If memorey serves me, don't about 4 timing cover bolt go into the water in the front of the block ?? Seems like I use to use Permatex Aviation Sealer on the threads. Maybe some one can clarify.<BR>I may be thinking of another engine.

Frank,<P>As others have indicated, there are about three major areas where you are almost certain to have a leak--the head gasket, the intake manifold gasket, and the area around the timing cover. <P>If you are not getting a lot of white smoke (not blue smoke) or a black coating on the inside of the tail pipe(s) you may have a leak outside of the heads. Let the car sit in one spot, then jack it up and see if you can find any evidence of external leaks, such as dried traces of coolant on or going down the block, around the timing cover, or down on to the transmission. <P>If you can't find any evidence of an external leak, you may be dealing with a gasket that didn't seat properly, not a blown head gasket or cracked head. Before taking the engine apart, I would try to re-torque all of the bolts you have access to. If you 'guessed' when you rebuilt the engine, get a torque wrench and use it. <P>If you still don't have any luck, I would start on the easiest parts first. The easiest part to check is also the most likely to leak on a rebuilt engine--the intake manifold gasket. When you pull the intake off of the engine, look for any evidence that the gasket shifted, got pinched, moved or somehow didn't line up properly. I've had that happen--sitting a cast iron intake manifold straight down on the engine while keeping the gaskets from moving around is harder to do than anyone could guess that hasn't done it. <P>I hope you find it there on the intake manifold. I strongly suspect that gasket because if you had a bad head gasket or cracked head, it probably would run rough or smoke a lot. Having water in the oil while the engine is running great suggests it is NOT leaking into the combustion chamber. <P>Good luck. <P>Joe

My first place to look would be the timing cover and water pump gaskets. They hard to get on if the oil pan was already installed. If the gasket is damaged on either side of the cover you can get coolant into the oil via the timing cover or bleeding through the cover and water pump bolts if they are not sealed. Are they torqued properly? Intake manifold gasket around the the coolant passages is my second second choice. You have already pressure checked it and it failed when you found coolant in the oil.

Thanks for all the replys. I took the intake off and found it leaking from the head gasket. And it's not just in one spot It's the length of the head. It's coming through those holes that are in the gasket. Theres holes in the gasket about half inch away from the block and thats where it's seeping out. It's kind of hard to explain? But there's something wrong with these gaskets.They may be the wrong gaskets but I don't know just yet. This is not just a little leak either. Also I have found no leaks outside of the valley area. Any thoughts? Thanks Frank

Oh, another thing I called the guy who rebuilt it and he is being very nice and said everthing is covered. But this is a real pain in the butt. I should be out cruise'n and I'm sweating my ass off in the garage trying to get this baby running. But I can't wait till it's done. Frank