Eibach Springs

NTX5467

Eibach (made in Eibach, Germany) springs are a quality product. They are more high performance oriented and will typically lower the ride height about an inch or so. They are typically progressive in their windings (some coils are closer together than others) for a smooth ride that stiffens up with greater deflection. They typically are a major buzz word brand just as Baer Brakes and Flowmaster Mufflers, which can be good and bad.<P>To me, the main issue would be the lowered ride height -- and what that will do to ground clearance with the chassis and exhaust system (including the rear of the pipes!). What might look "cool" or "kewl" could not be easy to live with in real life if you have to compromise where and how you drive just for "the look". I'd rather have suspension travel so the springs and shocks can do their things as designed (without bottoming out), yet upgrade shocks and sway bars instead of changing springs, unless they are sagged and need to be changed, but I'd find some factory replacements for the upgrade suspension package, probably.<P>There are some advantages with lowered ride height and the similar lowering of the vehicle's center of gravity, but upgrading the sway bars and shocks can accomplish pretty much the same thing with less expense and effort--unless you're going to be in some road race class racing activities where an altered ride height is acceptable and needed.<P>Just some thoughts . . .<BR>NTX5467

Thanks for the input. The springs are original and well worn. Ride height shouldn't be a problem since I went with the shorty headers. I specifically went with the Eibachs because they were only a one inch drop compared to 2 and 3 with some springs. For some reason the Skylark sags in the rear (even since I swapped the 350 with a 455) and I wanted to even it out.<P>Handling is somewhat important so I have purchased front and rear swaybars (big improvement) and a set of KYB Gas-A-Just shocks.<P>The steering is so vague on these cars that noticing the improved handling is difficult.<P>Since the Eibachs cost about the same as a decent set of stock replacements I went with the progressive rate stuff.<P><BR>Regards,<BR>Derek

One neat thing about the GM800 power steering gearbox is the large variety of gear ratios available for them. From slower "straight" ratios, to fast (2 turns lock to lock) "straight" ratios, to the variable ratios of the later 1960s. You might find some reman facility that can put the faster ratio in your gear box. Adding a smaller factory steering wheel can help the overall effect too.<P>Adding the sway bars and upgraded shocks should help a bunch. I haven't used KYBs yet, but got hooked on KONIs a good while back and like their combination of ride and handling, plus the adjustability factor. It sounds like you're headed in the right direction, though.<P>NTX5467