Carter WCD INFO

tcd

If still on the carburetor, the identification number is located on a triangular brass tag (approximately a 1 inch triangle) which is located under one of the screws holding the top cover (air horn) to the center section (bowl) of the carburetor. Depending on the age of the carburetor, the number will be either 3 or 4 digits, followed by the letter "S" as in (S)am. The "S" may or may not be followed by a second letter (which depicts engineering change status).

If the tag is missing, the carburetor can still be identified, but with difficulty.

Jon.

There is also a number in the cast iron casting of the carb as well which will also narrow down the Brass tad number and with the casting number off the main body and metering rod number(s) get the carb #. The number for a WDO on the cast iron base will be a 3 digit number 225,227 Buick 277 Cadi/laSalle 279 Hudson 306 Pontiac 8 ,327 329 371 377 561 564 Packard, 340 342 365 540 Olds, 540 Hudson, If you find the Number I can tell you more i have the Carter Manual and can give you the kit # for a rebuild.

On the cast iron base there is a patent re 22385 and in canada. Above that there is a 1-624 then a B all by it's self then anoter patent 2398542 or a 2399542 I used to work for a reman factory that did nothing but carbs by the line I worked on did 4 barrel quads. Never got into this type.

624 base fits a 725S-SA 822S 822SA Buick, "40" 1950-53 "50 1950-52 & "70" 1950-51". Gasket assortmet # 195A Repair Package No 1515D (725S-SA) or # 1595 (882-882SA). For some reason there is two different Choke casting used on the 725 type carb the S & the SA the Bowl vents are in a different place the 725S the vent holes are on the opposite side of the fuel inlet, the SA card is on the same side as the fuel inlet.

WHAT is the number mean behind the fuel inlet or fuel tower there is a 6-726 never seen one that said oil under screws I was trying to find info on this to put it on e-bay The place I work part time in the basement I found old tail light I have know idea what a lot of them are. There was a all glass red lens about 8" long 2 1/2" wide 1 3/4" deep Any idea what that might fit.

• 14 years later...

I have a Carter 2 barrel three bolt mount carb.   It has a WCD   ID on the bowl.   The tag is 6636.   What is the  "carb # ?    Since they made several WCD type carbs, I would like to know if this one of the "dual carb" models.   There are several WCD carbs on the  41-42 dual carbs  -  labeled  'F' for front and 'R' for a rear card.    This one has a stove type choke unit.   Which one do I have ?   The  carb number   "487 S"   is the earliest WCD 

Edited by Jim Nelson
Forgot data to help ID and get 'notify me" checked (see edit history)